Author Topic: 2008 Contessa Fuel gauge/sending unit  (Read 1697 times)

David H Smith

• BAC Member
2008 Contessa Fuel gauge/sending unit
« on: March 26, 2021, 06:58:08 PM »
    The fuel gauge has not read correctly since a trip north last fall, I now use the fuel consumption number on the Aladdin for fuel stops. I have been trouble-shooting again today, the dash gauge appears to work correctly, it traverses from E to F then back again at turning the key on, then settles at Full. I have pulled and cleaned my sender which is the capacitive type Beede. I have watched to dash gauge with it halfway withdrawn from the tank....it will still read full, but if you cycle the key switch it will the drop to about 1/3 full. When you drop it fully back into the tank it will not go to full, but if you cycle the key it will return to full. I used a new boat fuel tank floating sender to send a variable resistance back to the gauge, it does react with a variable reading however incorrect, but I am sure it does not match the required signal(59 to 295 ohms). Lastly, I have used 42 gals from the last fill up, the tank holds 130 gal., so it should be reading between 2/3 & 3/4 full if it is working correctly. I thought I would bounce this off of the Forum before ordering a new sender.
           Any suggestions are appreciated.   Dave
08 Contessa Huntington, 38',
Cat C9S 425 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: 2008 Contessa Fuel gauge/sending unit
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 08:18:53 PM »
I think the tank reading is off due to a 1/4 tank offset for the generator. I use 40 gals per 1/4 tank when I mentally calculate fuel remaining. Maybe others know more than me (not hard to do).
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."