Author Topic: wiring ags to generator start switch  (Read 2522 times)

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
wiring ags to generator start switch
« on: March 27, 2021, 08:55:03 PM »
Ok, starting my next project and could use a little help already.

I just bought a Magnum ME-AGS-S, stand alone generator start system.  I know how to run all of the wires except the ones going to the generator switch.  I am trying not to pull this to far apart so testing everything out is a bit tight.

I have a Onan 7.5 QD generator and I am trying to run the wiring to the switch that is in front of the drivers seat. 

As you can see in the picutres the 3 bottom wires are green to the #7 terminal, black to the #3 terminal, and yellow to the #1 terminal. 

Terminals # 2,4,6,&8 do not have anything  plugged into them.  The top terminals look like they are just daisy chained to other switches or gauges so I don't think they go to the generator.

I am sure I probably missed it somewhere, but I couldn't find the switch in the wiring diagrams.  I am sure Magnum can probably walk me through it also when they come in on Monday.

In the mean time, does any one know what the green, black and yellow wire do? 
Can I use the adjoining terminals to run to the AGS controller?  ie.. 2 is beside 1, 4 is beside 3, and 8 is beside 7.

I am still trying to figure out the exact wiring runs and want to get them all pulled before wiring anything up.  I as thinking I will need to pull 3 wires from the AGS controller to the switch.  I was hoping the instructions would identify what to do for each generator, but they seem to have more generic instructions.

Thanks again for everyone's help! 
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: wiring ags to generator start switch
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 12:23:04 AM »
To follow up on my earlier post and maybe help someone else who wants to do this in the future here is what I learned about the AGS. 

First even though there are 8 male lugs on the back of the generator start dash switch you will still need to piggy back on the 3 lugs that are currently being used to start the generator.  I made plug in Y connectors so I could put it back to factory if I ever needed or wanted.

Second you may well need to contact Magnum to get a accurate diagram for your generator.  While there were generic diagrams in the instructions it was not clear to me how to wire it until they sent me the diagram for my Onan 7.5QD.  See attached.

I have a generator hour meter inside a front passenger side cabinet so I was able to get the 12 volt run power wire from there.  There is also a stereo on off switch in the same cabinet that I could get house battery voltage from.  Since these were close to the side window where the cabinets have a small gap I ran the wiring there and mounted a board over the window valance.  I mounted the AGS box there along with a small fuse box. 

I mounted the remote, which contains the thermostat on the drivers side wall in a small gap between cabinets.  I then ran the telephone wire through the side and front cabinets all the way to the main AGS unit.  I still need to tidy up the wiring and totally reinstall everything but it is now working.

I went with a stand alone version because it is not tied to a specific inverter, and lets face it my inverter may need to be replaced at some point.  I may also want to remove this unit if for some reason I ever need to get another coach.  I'm hoping that I do not!   

Hopefully someone will find this helpful.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126