Author Topic: Has anyone tried this?  (Read 7523 times)

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
Has anyone tried this?
« on: March 28, 2021, 02:57:59 PM »
Because of the rocks and bugs as we travel done the blacktop, I am thinking of getting vinyl and wrapping the front on my coach. I would have the color match to what is on the coach, do all the front including the front cap. This would help in stopping the chipping, the bug should come off easier, most of all be more cost-efficient vs repainting again (I hope).
George
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
Re: Has anyone tried this?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 03:37:18 PM »
George, sounds interesting, we recently saw a   Bounder done with a full body wrap. But I like your idea of doing only the front of the coach. Attached photo of a Tesla with a full body wrap was very impressive.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 10:20:34 PM »
Bugs actually stick better to vinyl, and it shows scratches and dings like paint/clearcoat, except some can’t be buffed out.  Given the difficulty and expense in removing/replacing such products like 3M/Diamondcoat, I’m not certain it’s worth the effort.  A high risk trip like to Alaska, maybe I’d do it, or afix a “bra”.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 08:19:08 PM »
After researching the vinyl, you are correct Joel. I think the best is to just repaint and get a bra. I hate them because you must remove them to wash the coach and at the truck, stop water get behind when I wash my windshield. I do not belive I want the clear 3m product.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 09:26:20 PM »
I don’t like the bras either and would only consider getting one if headed for Alaska.  They mitigate the beauty of our rigs, but that’s just a personal opinion.  Ours came with a 3M shield as most did in that era.  It’s “soft” and shows wash brush microscratches easily, and they can’t be buffed out. 

I coat the coach front with HydroSilex Recharge, a ceramic UV protectant that works well on painted auto surfaces, is easy to apply, and it’s shine helps hide the microscratches.  While on a long trip I clean the windshield and cap at least weekly if not daily, and weekly wipe on a protectant like Thetford Protect and Shine or Aerospace 303.  Together with the ceramic it helps release the bugs, slows UV deterioration, and helps stave off sand and gravel.

https://www.hydrosilex.com/products/hydrosilex-recharge-1
If considering a purchase, it’s spendy but a little goes a long way, so I’d wait for one of their discount sales and free shipping, etc.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 12:17:12 AM »
I'll vote for the original 3M Diamond Shield or whatever it was called. Our coach is going on 'sweet 16' years young and the diamond shield is no worse for the wear. At arms length, I would say it looks good as new. I know others have horror stories about the original front 'wrap', but our coach has lived its life west of the Mississippi and out of the Florida (or Arizona) sun. Keepin' my fingers crossed on this one....
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 12:39:11 AM »
And as for bug removal, after trying all kinds of concoctions, I'm back to using just a damp cloth and water. Get up early before the sun hits the RV and just take it easy doing one section at a time. Wipe 'er down with a dry cloth and 'yer done!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 12:45:39 AM »
I still have the 3M on the front and it is still in pretty good condition, has a few rock dings but nothing major. I use Aero Cosmetics Wash/Wax after a couple coats and bugs do not stick, works great on the windshield, the nasty little critters come right off.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 01:10:12 AM »
There are several products chemically designed for removing bugs.  Bug Blaster is one I’ve seen, but years ago I got Bug Off, at the time I believe a Canadian made product.  I think it’s gone through some company transitions since, and may be the essentially the same as Starbrite’s Bug-Off product, assuming the formula went along with the name patent, but no guarantee there.    http://www.starbrite.com/item/bug-off

But I see there are other companies offering cleaners by the same name, go figure... the patent must’ve run out.  There’s even mosquito repellants (and clothing) by that name.

I still have some of the old product and it works well on windshields if left to soak a bit in the shade.  If it runs out I may try the Starbrite version, but 20/20’s Bug windshield fluid isn’t too bad either.  Another option that’s well-reviewed is Griot’s, a well-respected car-care outfit:   https://smile.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-10982-Smudge-Remover/dp/B00IUE5OPO/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d_6?pd_rd_w=PlWFG&pf_rd_p=de26f6c3-7c5f-4ef1-84bf-c6c67f9e7761&pf_rd_r=6PGY4E98DCCWXFHSFX3S&pd_rd_r=ec3a26da-b4f1-4653-b347-2d76d2b74f56&pd_rd_wg=9OeSA&pd_rd_i=B00IUE5OPO&th=1

Joel
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:31:07 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »
We have love bugs here in Florida several times a year. When they mash into your RV front it's messy, awful and caustic. It's important to get them off ASAP. I wash the front first with soap and water and use Goo Gone on the stubborn spots. I them wash the Goo Gone off with soap and water. Just another way to remove bugs. Connie B.

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 04:43:11 PM »
Being a Canadian and growing up in Saskatchewan I’ve had to deal with billions of bugs squished onto the front and windshield of my vehicles for most of my life. Fortunately I read a suggestion of using a laundry dryer sheet. (Bounce). Either just drop one sheet in the wash bucket or wrap it around your wash sponge and lightly scrub the affected areas with the sheet or solution. Leave the solution in place for several minutes and you will find that whatever is in those dryer sheets does a miraculous job of dissolving the bug splatter. Once the majority of the bug matter has released wash and rinse as usual. Dryer sheets are readily available, inexpensive and work as good as any bug wash product I’ve ever used.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 09:43:52 PM »
I’ve tried the dryer sheet method with less than the good results you got, Bob.  But perhaps I wasn’t patient enough to allow the softener to soak into the bugs.  If memory serves, which it too often these days doesn’t, it left a difficult to remove film on the glass.

You’re certainly correct about the Saskatchewan critters, and a few on the Alberta prairies too, where Mom was born.  Canadians must be expert at dealing with them... the Bug-Off windshield treatment was from there, and I got mine in Cranbrook while visiting Ft. Steele.  Outside of Canada it proved hard to find, though.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 01:52:40 AM »
I used to complain about the lexan shield on my Diamante!  I've got to remove 5 screws to drop down the large portion to wash the front, then remove 4 more to raise the smaller portion to wash the lower front.  To clean bugs off the lexan, I use very hot water (hot enough that it hurts a bit) and a terry cloth towel.  Those that do not come off with hot water, I use CeraWax (recommended by the manufacturer of the shield) on a finger tip and rub them out.  Probably any good wax will work, but I use WaxWax (cera is Spanish for wax!).  So, in summary, I'm glad I have protection for the paint on the front cap even though it is time-consuming to wash it. 

Y'all try the hot, hot water on a terry-cloth towel.  You will still have to wax because the hot water and bugs will leave a residue.

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 03:42:08 PM »
I will warn against using a Wrap on the coach. In my Prior years as a Broadcast Engineer - I managed several news vehicles.. The Promotions Department insisted on using wraps on all our vehicles. Admittedly, we had a fabulous graphics designer that created a very nice graphic style for our trucks. This is not a common admission, however I digress.

As the wrap(s) would age, they would "Bake" in the sun, turn color and crack only after a few years. This would make removal from the original paint (worse IMOHO than removing that 3M gunk from the front) difficult and once removed, would leave a "Baked in impression" into the original paint. Additionally, if the wrap was removed while it was still "young" it would peal off the original paint underneath.

We Beavers value our skins, however- this application will rip off our pelts..

Pic 1 & 2  -  Example of a full body wrap.

Pic 3        -  Example of an "aged" and "Baked" Wrap on the hood of this truck discoloring. A brownish black color within the blue and purple of the wrap. the
                  white is all original paint.

Pic 4-5     -  Is an example of what will happen if (or more to the point: WHEN) the wrap is removed from the coach...

Pic 6        -  Is what I think of wraps after my experiences with them...

I would highly recommend that Beaver Wraps be avoided..  - Although that does sound a little tasty- Maybe with a mild chipotle sauce..
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 02:11:25 PM »
I have seen Roy Vicker's coach, and it has a coating on the front just like a pickup truck bed. He had it applied after taking off the 3M shield, and then it was painted to match the coach.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad