Author Topic: Flame out (Hurricane)  (Read 2072 times)

Brian Buchanan

• The Buchanan's Rolling Down the Road
  • BAC Member
    • The Buchanan's Rolling Down the Road
Flame out (Hurricane)
« on: April 04, 2021, 05:17:54 PM »
This is kind of like beating a dead horse, but we just de-winterized our coach and after restarting our hurricane boiler I was ecstatic when it started and ran with no issues. Because last fall we had an issue with "flame out" which after much hunting I found to be a small split in the fuel line at the fuel filter, and I remember that during that process that the burner would usually fire up and then a few seconds later it would sputter and go out, usually followed by a long stream of white smoke out of the exhaust.
But after running perfectly for more than a week now the boiler fires up when being turned on and burns continuously until the aquastat shuts the boiler off and after the aquastat turns the boiler back on it will not fire at all, I have cleaned the fuel nozzle, removed the flame eye to clean it and ensure no obstruction, I have also removed the igniter to ensure nothing on it as well.
After doing this it re-fired and went through a complete cycle until turned off by the aquastat, and again would not re-fire., this time I just shut off the remote switch and left it sit about 30 minuets and it restarted and completed another cycle. When it would not start on re-fire I just shut the remote off and turned it back on to find it would not re-fire, but after letting it sit for the 30 minuets again, it would re-fire and complete another cycle.
So it appears to me that the issue has to be a temperature related issue and I'm hoping for a little guidance as to where to look next.

Thank you in advance for your assistance
Laurie & Brian Buchanan
Full Timers
40’ 1998 Patriot 425 Thunder
425 hp C12 Cat
Tow 2007 Ford Sport-Trac

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Flame out (Hurricane)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 09:25:51 PM »
Brian
I agree I think what you are experiencing is a DC high limit switch problem
The system is supposed to run up to 190 degrees when the tank thermostat ( just above burner tongue left) is supposed to shut it down  if it fails to shut it down the high limit switch (above burner to the right) shuts it down at somewhere above 220 degrees to prevent the boiler from running away.
It may be a bad tank thermostat allowing it run run too hot forcing the high limit switch to shut down or it could be a bad high limit switch shutting it down too soon.
At this point you need to check temperatures to see what temp it shuts down at  this should give you some insight into which price is defective.
Or you could just replace both.
Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:33:46 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Brian Buchanan

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 02:35:56 PM »
   Brian, As Eric has stated, your issue is  12 volt and definitely heat control. Once it has cooled off, it goes thru 1 sequence and then stays in a safety sequence until a cool down. The 2 controls are the aquastat (t-stat) and the high limit. Things that move only move so many times and then become compromised. Kinda like us when we get old and try and work on our motorhomes. Ha Ha. If it was my issue, I would replace both units, then reset the Hurricane. Enclosed is a screen shot of the location. Hope this helps, Fred 
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Brian Buchanan

Michelle Jensen

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:36:39 PM »
Hello Brian - We've had a couple issues with our Hurricane and I have called ITR directly with my questions.  They are super helpful and will walk you through over the phone how to assess and fix.  Their number is (360) 993-4877.

-Michelle
Chris and Michelle Jensen
Full Time RVing since Dec 2020

1998 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga 37'
CAT 3126 330 Turbo
2003 Suzuki XL Tow Car

OSU Grad Class of '91 -GO BEAVS!!!!