Author Topic: 05 Thunder questions  (Read 2592 times)

Paul Bedoe

05 Thunder questions
« on: April 10, 2021, 12:29:38 AM »
05  c13

Oil pressure ..... 15 - 40 delvac simi  syn  oil pressure runs between 31 and 40 seems low to me ?

On a long trip now not using any oil but my toad shields catches a lot of blow by and when I stop lots of drips out of the exhaust pipe

Thoughts ?  Normal ?

No power or running issues monitoring system showing no codes ....

Going to have to get a membership from a car wash for the road  😂

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: 05 Thunder questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 02:27:56 AM »
Paul
I recalled a post here about synthetic oil not working well in a CAT.  We went back to full oil and power and all have improved.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 05:13:26 AM »
Paul,
    C-13's don't run much oil pressure should have about 20psi and idle and 40 or so off idle. Now you say you are not using any oil but what is coming out of your exhaust pipe? There should not be anything coming out of the pipe but exhaust, do you have any blue smoke or blow by out of your crankcase breather?

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 02:17:19 PM »
Paul
 Lee is right if you have oil drippng from your tail pipe there is something wrong possibly a turbo charger oil seal gone bad
Check the lower CAC hose connection for signs of oil in the intake air ( oil will collect at a low point within the air intake system)
Check to make sure what you are seeing isn't just condensation (water )in the exhaust .
 If you have noticable oil collecting on your toad then you more than likely have an oil leak or excessive blow by the first thing to check is your oil level if it's over full you may experience excessive blow by or even seal leakage caused by crank case pressure build up.
Try hanging a catch can under the draft tube to see just how much oil your getting out of there on a good drive .
And of course look for external oil leaks around the compressor mateing gaskets , front and rear main seal etc.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Paul Bedoe

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 02:18:13 PM »
About 1800 miles on this trip oil is at the same hatch mark on the stick.  Not much from the slober tube. Coolant level is the same. Taking another look I think it may be some hydraulic Tran fluid dripping down onto the pipe

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 04:01:25 AM »
Paul, Not sure on a 05 where your hyd oil tank is but on my 06 it's in the rt rear corner and the main hose runs down that side of the motor, you could have hyd oil causing your issue. When I got our coach the gasket to the PTO was leaking causing a bit of a mess.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 05:45:35 AM »
I would not only check the gasket, but I would look at the whole hose and see if there was any chaffing anywhere on that hose.  After about 100,000 miles on my 05, the hose blew while on the highway in the Pitzgah Forest going up the hill which had inclines up to 9 degrees.  I was very lucky as there happened to be a turn-out very shortly after I saw white and black smoke coming from the engine compartment.  I was ready to be towed, but the tow driver said he couldn't tow me and he couldn't get a flatbed up there to take me.  There were some sharp turns but nothing our coaches couldn't handle.  He took the hose back to the nearest town and had them manufacture a new one with the proper fittings on each end.  It took them two tries as the first one had a short elbow connector and it would not connect to the PTO.  2 nights in the Forest were really nice, but the scare was something else.  By the way, I walked back to where I could find a leak and it was only about 600 feet from there to the turn-off. 
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Paul Bedoe

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 03:25:55 PM »
I have about 120k on this new to me Thunder.  Back home now just finished 5000 miles and really a pretty flawless trip.  My coach has dual exhaust and my only issue is on the pipe below the hyd tank .... so after I spend a day bringing the pool up to speed I will hit that side with degreaser and look it over good.  There are several great build you a hose companies in Phoenix so if it’s a hose no problem.  I was actually putting worry on my self about oil pressure my ISL 400 always ran above 60, I am very very happy to know the C13 runs a lot lower and I am in range. .... I have my normal punch list to do on the Thunder before our next adventure thanks all for the help....

Paul Bedoe

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 08:55:41 PM »
Well turns out the hydraulic tank vent tube was extended to just above the exhaust tip the tank is on the high side of full so I pulled a 1/2 quart out lengthened and looped the vent tube should solve the issue.