Author Topic: Magna inverter/charger setting  (Read 4102 times)

Albert Balika

• BAC Member
Magna inverter/charger setting
« on: April 10, 2021, 12:19:49 PM »
 I have a 2007 Contessa Bayshore C-9 Cat. I am plugged into 50 amp shore power, my Magnum ME Series Inverter/Charger is on "float charging" and "set for 50 amp". The LCD Display shows "Float Charge  DC 13.4V  and 17A". Is this a correct setting and reading? If I am plugged into 30 amp shore power I assume I should have my setting at 30 amp. What is confusing is the system allows for selections of 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 and 50 amps. I am about to install all new batteries (house and chassis) and want to make sure I am maintaining them correctly. I find the operators manual very confusing and could use some guidance. We spend five months of the year plugged into 30 amp service and the balance plugged into 50 amp service with about a month of dry camping in between.
07 Contessa 42'
C9

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Magna inverter/charger setting
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 01:51:42 PM »
Our coach has a Xantrex Freedom PSW 3000w inverter... so different from yours.  Our inverter has a "Power Sharing" (PS) setting that tells the inverter how much power it is allowed to pull from its supply leg coming from either the generator or shore power.  Our PS setting can be set to 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 amps.  I believe this setting has no effect on the pass-through amperage.  When we dry camp at a BLM STVA or rest stop, for example, we do not use the coach's onboard 12.5kw QD unless we need to run the ACs.  In our toad, we carry a 3000w Honda generator that I hook to the coach's shore power cord and it just runs for hours and hours and is very quiet.  When running the little Honda generator, I set the inverter's PS setting down to PS20 or so.  This assures me that the Honda generator will not be asked to provide more amps than it's capable of which will cause its breaker to kick out.  In the event that we in the coach turn on too many electrical devices, for example, microwave, coffee pot, hairdryer, etc., that would exceed the PS setting, then the inverter will pull the extra power demand it needs from the batteries, not the little Honda. After the extra power demand is turned off, then the Honda will recharge the batteries, albeit more slowly than the 12.5kw QD would do it.  Overnight, I usually set the PS setting down to PS10 or PS15 so that the Honda cannot burn too much gasoline.  The Honda can run continuously for 16 to 20 hours on one 3.6 gallon tank fill.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 02:05:56 PM »
   Albert,
  The reading you are presently looking at is correct. Float means the batteries are fully charged and the charger is only maintaining a trickle charge to them but suppling you with the current demand of 17 amps that the coach is presently requiring to meet your demands.
  The settings of 5 thru 50 amp settings is called "power share" settings. This means you have control over how much power the charger can take from your resource that you are plugged into. Here is an example of what that means: Lets say that you just finished dry camping for 2 days and your house batteries are down to 12.3 volts. The nearest camp ground you pull into only has a 30 amp plug. If you were to plug into that source, the charger would go into "bulk" charge in an attempt to charge up the house batteries. It would require 22 amps of your available 30 amps to perform that job and leave you with 8 amps to try and run your whole coach on! If you were to turn the "power share" down to 10 amps you are restricting the charger to that amount of resource and leaving you with 20 amps to run the coach on. The maximum the charger will ever demand is under 25 amps of power. Your default setting should be "30 amps" when using your 50 amp shore cord. If you change your "power share" setting, put a reminder on your steering wheel to reset it back to the default position. Hope this helps, Fred Brooks Retired Luxury Coach technician
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Albert Balika

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 03:49:57 PM »
Fred, As always, thank you for your response. If I understand what you are explaining, if I am plugged into 50 amp I should set my "power share setting" at no more than 30 amps and if I am plugged into 30 amp, I should have my "power share setting" at something less than 30 amp such as 20 amp or less? As you suggested, I turned my "power share setting" to 30 amp and the LCD shows "Float Charging 13.4V. 16A.
07 Contessa 42'
C9

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 04:27:47 PM »
   Albert,
You have it correct! Fortunately we are not presented with that scenario very often as most RV parks now offer 50 amp services. I am not sure why Magnum offers a Power Share setting of 50 amps unless there is a commercial application that does not apply to RV's. As a default setting as I stated you can use the 30amp setting. If you have further questions, you can Email me at brookdoc1@gmail.com and I will be happy to assist, Blessings Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Albert Balika

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 05:17:06 PM »
Fred, Thanks for the easy to understand lesson. What you and the other geniuses in the club do for the members is remarkable and much appreciated. We are all fortunate to have folks like you available to help us work through our problems. I look forward to seeing you at one of our events and shaking your hand (that is if we are allowed to do so). I know how to build high rise office buildings, so if you are ever inclined to go vertical, I will be pleased to reciprocate. Regards, Albert
07 Contessa 42'
C9
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 06:36:06 PM »
   Thanks, your engineering talent is far more complicated than mine, I'm just blessed that we have far more givers than takers in the BAC!
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 04:57:17 PM »
I just installed lifeline AMG batteries. The installer set my magnum inverter to 50 amp from 30 amp. If I have read this post correctly I should turn it back to 30 amp regardless if I plug into 50 amp or 30 amp service.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 05:24:15 PM »
   George,
 The maximum amperage the charger will draw is 22 amps under extreme conditions (dead batteries). To further validate that statement, look at the circuit breaker supplying 120 volts to the inverter/charger. It is a 30 amp circuit breaker. The remote set up gives you the option of 30 or 50 amp and either choice gives you the maximum amperage needed for the charger. If it is easier for folks to relate 50 amp service with the 50 amp "Power Share" then do it that way, either setting does the same thing. Hopefully when you went to AGM batteries, the tech changed the battery type to AGM-2 setting in the remote. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 12:09:40 AM »
Thanks, Fred it does help. And yes the setting was changed to Amg2.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 02:20:27 PM »
   George, Do you have a Xantrex or Prosine inverter/charger? Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 03:29:28 PM »
magnum 1220
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 04:11:46 PM »
   Thanks George,
The reason I asked the question is because I made a mistake in my response to the battery type that I posted. I remembered reading in the Magnum RC-50 remote set up it stated that Lifeline batteries require a different setting than conventional AGM batteries. Sorry, and I do not want you to hurt your new batteries. Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 05:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the info. I change from AMG2 To AMG1
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 06:12:09 PM »
Fred/George,

When I was shopping for batteries, I had several people tell me that Lifeline had changed their charge profile requirement. The settings in the RC-50 AGM1 are no longer valid. It might be worth a phone call to confirm.

BTW - I went with Crown batteries that forced me to buy an ARC-50 (advanced) so that I could use the ‘custom’ option for the required charge profile. My RC-50 had an older revision.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks