Author Topic: Caging the brakes  (Read 5329 times)

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
Re: Caging the brakes
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 12:27:15 AM »
Ok, so I used to think I was pretty smart but over the last couple of days, not so much.  I went through the fault code process and am confused with what I saw.  So there was 4 flashes that I assumed were the initial system start.  Then came 6 followed by 4 (64 right).  Then 6 followed by 4 again (I checked 3 times to be sure). Then 7 followed by 5 (my fault code list stops at 74). Then finally there was 1 single flash then no more.  I made a video of it but I think it's too large to post here if videos can be posted at all.  So my confusion?  Why two 64 codes and a mysterious 75 code. Am I reading the sequence wrong?

MJ
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 01:15:28 AM »
Micheal
Are you sure that isn't a 46 and 47 and 51

46 = very low oil pressure
47= shut down occurrence
51= intermittent battery power to ECM
If that is the case you may be right as to the seizure.
But as William was saying the oil pan would have to be almost empty.
Or possibly an oil pump failure.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 01:41:12 AM »
It could very well be if there was an initial flashing of the light before the codes started.  I read that the light would start flashing when the Resume button was pressed and held.

MJ
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 01:54:42 AM »
What engine is in that coach?
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 01:58:07 AM »
It's a CAT 505 hp C-12
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 03:21:20 AM »
Micheal
At this point I would try to bar the engine over by hand if no go I would drain the oil and drop the oil pan and check for a connecting rod that can not be wiggled or moved on its journal it will feel tight compared to all the others once You've found the one you think is seized you can loosen the rod bolts and see if the engine will turn it it does then remove the cap and see how much damage you have .
Either way at this point your looking at a crank reground or replaced and new bearings and the effected connecting rod should be replaced or resized.

In order to do this the engine will have to come out and at that point a complete rebuild is in order.

Not great news
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 03:27:14 AM »
I'll try those things. I figure $10,000 plus. Thanks for your help Eric.  How does the engine come out.  Does that back of the coach get removed?

MJ
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 03:50:02 AM »
Ya the rear cap would have to come off to get the engine out.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 01:10:55 PM »
Gentlemen, my suggestion before you start anything more at this point take a oil sample from your
engine. The results of oil sample will direct you to engine failure. Personally it is very unlikely that
Your engine has to come out of your motorhome. The Caterpillar C-12 engine is a very strong engine
that has a excellent track record. It is likely that a cylinder may be full of diesel fuel from bad injector
Leaking off filling cylinder and yes you would not be able to turn engine over.. if perhaps it is determined engine has to come out. A simple cut on both sides on bottom of cap both sides of assess
doors will allow you to remove engine straight out the back and second thing remove engine with Allison transmission connected will save you real lot of money in labor. this is the way Dave Diesel has
Changed out and removed engines . After engine reinstalled replace fiber glass bottom piece that
allowed for removal access. Last I have used fork lift with extended forks that it is very cost effective
That will allow engine to come out the back real easy. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Michael Hannan

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 04:38:41 PM »
Thanks very much Dave!  We are indeed fortunate to have your expert knowledge here.  We have an authorized CAT repair place near here.  I'll be sure to pass on your ideas to them as I'm sure this may be their first RV CAT surgery.

MJ

Gentlemen, my suggestion before you start anything more at this point take a oil sample from your
engine. The results of oil sample will direct you to engine failure. Personally it is very unlikely that
Your engine has to come out of your motorhome. The Caterpillar C-12 engine is a very strong engine
that has a excellent track record. It is likely that a cylinder may be full of diesel fuel from bad injector
Leaking off filling cylinder and yes you would not be able to turn engine over.. if perhaps it is determined engine has to come out. A simple cut on both sides on bottom of cap both sides of assess
doors will allow you to remove engine straight out the back and second thing remove engine with Allison transmission connected will save you real lot of money in labor. this is the way Dave Diesel has
Changed out and removed engines . After engine reinstalled replace fiber glass bottom piece that
allowed for removal access. Last I have used fork lift with extended forks that it is very cost effective
That will allow engine to come out the back real easy. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
2003 Marquis Ruby
505hp C12