Author Topic: Roof Leak 1999 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga  (Read 1749 times)

Joe LoSciuto

• BAC Member
Roof Leak 1999 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga
« on: May 18, 2021, 04:32:17 PM »
Hi,
I have a leak in my roof, it appears to be a descent one based on the water I am seeing inside.  Has anyone had water leak in through the solar panel wire through roof fittings?  I cannot get a good view of the area and it looks like pulling the panels is not an easy task.

What are the most likely areas that people have had water enter through a Patriots roof?

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: Roof Leak 1999 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 04:57:30 PM »
The leak is probably somewhere near where you see it leaking in, but not always.  Water can travel several feet before it actually drips inside.  Likely places are on the front and back seams, through the front or rear top exterior lights, and around any of the holes that are cut for A/C's, fans or wires. 

I like to put duct tape over the suspected area temporarily before I dig in to deep.  Finding where it is leaking is only part of the job.  You will need to find out how much damage was done.  Then you can repair the damage and fix the leak.  Sometimes you get lucky and the damage is minimal and you can just seal the leak.  Good luck! 
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Joe LoSciuto

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 01:14:16 AM »
Yes, there was a nearly invisible tear in the sealant where our solar wires entered the roof a short distance from the panel.  In 2016, while Les Schwab in Junction City put new tires on, we made the jaunt to Springfield to spend time with my wife's brother.  During our long visit there was a downpour, and I called the shop and said we likely wouldn't get there by closing.  No problem, they'd park the coach on the back lot and settle up in the morning, and we could stay in it overnight okay. 

When we got back to the coach late that night, water was pouring in from the AC vents and light fixtures on the ceiling between galley and table, with gallons on the floor and rug.  It was still raining, but I clambered onto the roof and tried to find the culprit.  It was to say the least frustrating... I couldn't see anything obvious, but it was my first awareness of a structural flaw in the roof.  A lake had formed where there was a dip, so water didn't run off as it should with a proper crown.  The dip included the solar wire port.  So finally I got down on hands and knees (got soaked) and fiddled with the decor sealant around the wires, discovering underneath a tear of pencil diameter.  Obvious to me then was the problem.  The portal was acting like the outlet creek of a lake, and the heavy rain like the inlet creek, incessantly filling the lake.

I went down and rummaged through my tool bag for my old marine sealant I'd saved off our old 25' cruiser and that could be applied "underwater".  It had mostly dried up.  So out came the Lexel tube and I gunked up the hole and wires darned good.  That stopped it.  It was no picnic trying to squeegee off that dip as I worked in the dark, while rain kept filling it.  Then we were up all night sopping up the mess inside, and trying to remove fixtures to get at water still in the ceiling.  I left all ports open for weeks afterward, and did whatever I could to get moisture out of the ceiling structure.  A trip to BCS right afterwards had been scheduled for other things, so they added a proper resealing of the solar wire portal, and a thorough check of all other sealed roof areas. 

I can't see spending thousands to rebuild the roof just for that dip.  Wish I'd noticed it when the coach was new and under warranty, but it's so infinitesimally shallow that only during a hard rain with the coach absolutely level would anyone detect it.  Fortunately that solar wire portal is the only thing that it encompasses, so I just regularly inspect it closer than other roof penetration points.  The portal is not directly under the panel, but a foot or so in front of it;  so the panel doesn't have to be removed to get at the opening. 

Yours may be less easily accessed, Joe.  I would not have spotted the sealant tear without lifting the wires, because the tear was covered by them as they exited the hole.  I'd guess someone snagged a shoe or a wash brush or something on the exposed wires, and pulled them enough to tear the rubbery Dicor underneath, whereafter it laid back down and looked perfectly normal and fine.  So when inspecting seals for satellite unit, solar, horn, and other device wires, be sure to gently lift and check underneath around the portal.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 02:30:13 AM »
Joel
I had a low spot in the roof on my coach maybe 1/2  an inch or so . I used a hose and expanding foam (Great stuff) and feed the foam into the void ( I think was caused by a mouse) the foam as it set expanded raised the roof back to it's proper height.
You might be able to do the same through the solar wire entry .
In my coach the ceiling is 3/4 ply and the cavity above is styrofoam filled with the duct work and wiring with plywood at the top under the fiberglass.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 11:32:49 AM »
When fall rains start we find all the spots that looked good but closer inspection proves weren’t.  All 5 of our class A’s had the dip around the AC units from people snugging the unit down a bit more.  200 pounds of AC will wear in the polystyrene roof too.  Imagine my surprise when the rear AC gasket proved to be the source of the leak pouring water through our TV antenna crank handle. 
Once it formed a puddle around the TV antenna and poured in the now cracked boot for the wires.
Leaks happen.  In the PNW they happen often.  This is why we got our first Beaver.  At least if water gets in the quality of materials was good enough to hold up. 
Only thing was the Luann in the roof was stained and bled into the ceiling and walls.  For this Folex is your best friend .
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!