Author Topic: 1997 Monterey water leak  (Read 2393 times)

JenniferMcCarthy

1997 Monterey water leak
« on: May 19, 2021, 12:43:14 AM »
Yesterday I wanted to fill the water in the tank at home. Husband was at work so I decided I can do this I want to do EVERYTHING  on my own.... well water started gushing out of the washer valve in the fill area. Then water started coming out of the under carriage (which is now water logged and will need to be replaced. What did I do wrong and how do we fix it?

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: 1997 Monterey water leak
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 01:00:34 AM »
Jennifer, Good for you for wanting to 'do it all'! Your biggest sin may be only that you overfilled the water tank, and the excess water spilled to the ground. Not sure what your 'washer valve' is, but if its one of the shut off valves for the washing machine, the valve can be replaced with relative ease. So give yourself a pat on the back, we've all overfilled the water tank a time or two.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

JenniferMcCarthy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 12:07:14 PM »
I'm seriously considering RV tech training at this point 🤔 🤣.  But my tank was only reading 1/4 full but I hope you are right. The whole underside is falling off now and seems rotted, how difficult is that to replace? And is that the only place to see whats happening under there? Gotta say these babies are built good 👍 and solid.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 03:19:02 PM »
Well, I may have let you off too easy too soon! From one leak, you might have some wet wood, but no rot. If the wood is rotting away, the leak has been there for some time. As for the tank showing 1/4 full, that may be the case or tank level gauges are notoriously inaccurate. It's gonna take some digging to find out what is happening.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 03:47:57 PM »
   Jenn,
 Sometimes folks connect the fresh water hose to the "tank flush inlet" by accident because the label fell off. This can cause what you are experiencing. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 04:01:01 PM »
When I connected to the black tank flush with the dump valve closed to fill the black tank for a good full and final dump... and then was called away for too long... the tank filled and run over on the roof from the vent pipe.  Fortunately, as I stated, it was a final flush after having already done several quick flushes, so the overflow on the roof was as clean as it could be having come from the black tank.  That is where all the overflow went... on the roof and down over the far sidewall of the coach... no other flush water went anywhere else.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:37:01 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

JenniferMcCarthy

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 11:06:20 PM »
Yeah, I was connected to the city water and had the valve turned to fill. So it was still something else hmmmmm. Definitely going to have to do some investigating, but I found out the other day I'm way to claustrophobic to crawl under the MH lol.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 02:13:29 AM »
Jennifer, climbing under the MH has its own dangers.  Use caution there.
Could you post some pics of the rotted areas?
I suggest attending a rally for Beavers.  Sometimes it is nice just to have a veteran walk around with you and you can ask your own questions your own way while you are looking at the subject.  You will go away feeling so much more confident.  Yes, you can do it all!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 02:54:05 AM »
What Keith said. Definitely.