Author Topic: Hurricane voltage to the ignitor  (Read 1942 times)

Brian Chavet

Hurricane voltage to the ignitor
« on: May 20, 2021, 06:12:02 PM »
Hello all, need some advice regarding the Hurricane in our 2000 Marquis. As anyone who uses one knows they can be problematic. I’ve worked on mine long enough to know my way around it. Recently I started having trouble keeping it ignited. It would fire as it should but only for a fraction of a second and wouldn’t stay lit, just sort of “popped.” Fuel is present and fan blowing.  I pulled the igniter and the tip glowed as it should. I finally called the factory for some help and together we discovered that the igniter, when removed from its proper location to visually test, would glow only at the top of the “U” protruding from the ceramic housing. The tech I spoke with told me it must glow from the top of the “U” to halfway down to the ceramic. Problem solved! Next, finding the Oasis 9002 igniter proved next to impossible as these come Only out of Canada and have been held up due to COVID (what’s new?). I finally found a supply that was <$70, incredible stroke of luck, (most on-line stores had them for as much as $300 [total rip-off] and were “back ordered.”) I took the old one and the new one and tested with a 12v power supply. Sure enough the new one was much brighter with a larger area glowing than the old one. Proof of the problem - as I sat the old one down on my workbench the “U” piece cracked and a chunk fell off proving there was too much resistance in the old one to draw enough current to light it up. Now, to the problem ... after all the troubleshooting to isolate the problem ... I put it all back together to test my findings and guess what? It didn’t ignite! Are you kidding? Back to square one, where to start? The obvious place was to see if the starting voltage was present at the igniter leads and sure enough when the demand for this short presence of voltage was required, it was not there. Everything else seemed to work as it should. It had always worked before. After all the other maintenance, parts replacement and labor and now this? I have no idea how to troubleshoot or isolate where the igniter signal voltage originates or can be traced. The flame sensor is working. Any ideas?? Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hurricane voltage to the ignitor
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 07:44:41 PM »
Brian,
Have you accessed the Service Manual in Coach Assist? Sounds like a problem in the control box or lack of fuel. If you haven't, check the 4 fuses in the control box to start.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Brian Chavet

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 08:21:41 PM »
Steve, I did check the fuses, all OK. Not sure what “coach assist” is? And the fuel is perfect.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 09:37:53 PM »
Brian
Coach assist is the library of manuals, brochures,and technical information found here on this forum under members only
Click on the blue link at the top of the page and then go to the technical drop down and select coach assist and take a look around you'll find a great wealth of information there. You have to be loged in to access as members only.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 03:02:29 PM »
    Brian,
Another consideration that I found the hard way was the exhaust system. Where my hurricane muffler transitioned into the rectangled shaped exhaust pipe, the rust had accumulated to the point it plugged the pipe closed. This created enough back pressure to flame out. I found it because I had an exhaust leak in the inlet. I believe the problem was Beaver's choice of materials in production. In their effort to keep the ground clearance, they chose tubing that wasn't ever intended for exhaust gases and temperatures which caused all the rust.
    Have you pushed the "by-pass" button on the PC board yet to see if it will fire? Did you find the Hurricane manual for your coach in Coach assist? Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 03:52:35 PM »
Brian,

how do you know if your flame sensor is working? Had similar symptoms on a friends coach and it turned out it was the flame sensor that was faulty, not the igniter. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Scott Hinote

• BAC Member
  • 727-744-5531
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 06:21:32 PM »
Brian sorry to hear your having trouble , I’m also looking for help with mine . I have alarms that I can’t get to reset . If I could find where to kill all the power to the controller I believe those alarms would clear . I have verified that the voltage is good . I’ll be following the comments here and if I come up with a solution for your problem I’ll holler at you . Good luck
C.Scott Hinote
2000 Patriot
CAT 3126B  330hp

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 08:07:04 PM »
Brian,

this is interesting, http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php?topic=4993.0 Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.