Author Topic: RVA Rear Jack Replacement - 4.5 hours labor???  (Read 1855 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
RVA Rear Jack Replacement - 4.5 hours labor???
« on: May 29, 2021, 03:19:21 PM »
My rear leveling jack was leaking... Took it to TransWest in Fountain Colorado.  Not enough room to crawl underneath otherwise I'd have changed it myself.

I located a new (replacement) part at RVJacks.com for $895 (free delivery)... I provided TransWest with the phone number, contact name and part number to order the part.  They did so and promptly charged me $1,250 ($350 mark-up) for that same part.  They have to make a profit...according to service manager.

They quoted me 1.0 hour diagnostic fee (even though we could see the fluid running out) and 2.0 hours to replace.  At $165 per hour it was more than I thought it should be but again.. I didn't want to try and squeeze under the coach.  I gave them the go-ahead.

Long story short is that when done they call me and the labor to replace is 4.0 hours plus 1 hour diagnostic.  So the cost to replace a rear RVA Jack that I told them was leaking is over $2,000.

Feeling like I'm being taken advantage of.... any suggestions?  Is there a flat rate manual like car repair shops use?  I will be meeting with the Service Manager... but after my initial talk with him about the $350 mark-up on a part that I provided all of the details for and his lack of concern over that... I suspect I will not get far.  Obviously will not go back to TransWest which is unfortunate because they have a nice facility and in previous years had a good service department.

Any suggestions for a good coach repair shop in Colorado Springs?  Do I have any recourse with TW over this issue?  I rarely complain about cost but really feel I'm being taken.  Anybody know how long it takes to replace one of those jacks and then top fluids?

Thanks much
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: RVA Rear Jack Replacement - 4.5 hours labor???
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 04:20:27 PM »
I called Transwest in Colo Springs two years ago while we were in town to see if they could do an oil change and filters. They said, how old is your coach? I said 2005, they said they don't touch coaches over 10 yrs old. Don't think much of that policy. Got a Freightliner dealer to do the work.
Don't know if you have a recourse, other than raising the roof. Labor rates at the big shops are sky high. Glad you got it fixed!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."