Author Topic: Lifting Veneer on Cabinet Doors  (Read 6973 times)

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

Lifting Veneer on Cabinet Doors
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:46 PM »
I have had to re-glue almost every burl door facing in my coach.  As I understand it, they tried a new spray adhesive on the veneer in some coaches and it does not hold. To do a repair you will need a deep reach clamp that will reach the area you are going to re-glue.
You can buy these at Harbor Freight or some other tool outlet that sells cheap tools. Use a white glue like Titebond II.  Do not use Gorilla Glue as it will expand and come out of the joint and be difficult to clean.  Work a little glue under  the area of the veneer that is lifting, with your finger or a business card.  I then use my finger to press the veneer to remove all of the excess glue.  You can wipe the area with a damp paper towel before your clamp.  Use a block of wood on both sides of the door so as not to damage the finish when you clamp, 3/8 inch plywood works well for this.  I use a paper towel under each block as padding.  The paper towel will also prevent the glue from sticking to the block if some extra comes out.  Remove the clamps after about an hour and use your finger nail to clean off any extra glue.  I have re-glued most of the edges of the door veneer in my coach using this technique.  Once the edges are down the center should not ever lift.  

Good luck  

Tim
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:21:28 AM by 14 »

vettepair

Re: Lifting Veneer on Cabinet Doors
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:48:59 AM »
Tim,

Tried your suggestion.  Works great.   What heve you done with the pocket doors?  I have several of these that are coming apart.

Thanks,

Dan

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »
I was able to glue the pocket doors in place.  I used the same 3/8 inch plywood support plate and held it in place with a wedge.  Just apply the glue, close the close the door until the plate is just inside  the frame, and use the wedge  to apply pressure the glued area.

Worked great for me

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 08:35:56 PM »
While you are checking for de-laminated veneer, it would be a gook idea to remove the air conditioning vent covers in the ceiling.  On my coach the moisture has de-laminated the veneer all the way around the vents.  If not re-glued it will  eventually crack.  To re-clamp the veneer I used a board to the floor as there was no way to get a clamp on the vent up top.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:53:21 AM by 14 »