Author Topic: Air Dump switch wiring on '05 PT  (Read 2170 times)

Mike Shumack

Air Dump switch wiring on '05 PT
« on: July 05, 2021, 03:40:34 PM »
Does anyone know how the Air Dump switch is wired on the '05 Patriot Thunder?

I have power through the dash switch. There is a relay (K16) in the Front Run box labeled "Air Dump Lockout" - what is that tied to?

The Owners Manual does not specify what conditions must be met to dump the air bags (i.e. Ignition On, Parking Brake applied, etc.). That criteria would be useful to know to troubleshoot this. I know this dump switch worked a while back. I don't use it often so I'm not sure when it stopped working, but now that I discovered it is inop I must fix it.

Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Air Dump switch wiring on '05 PT
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 04:06:29 PM »
Mike,
If your system is IDS, check pgs 27-29 of the 2003 Marquis wiring diagrams. It shows the IDS harnesses. But I think yours may be HWH.
The 2005 Monterey diagrams show the wiring but the key page is illegible.  :(
Steve
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 04:31:42 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 08:43:51 PM »
Mike
I know yours is likely different than mine but my dump switch is only active when the ignition is in the accessory position I assume this is to keep you from dumping the suspension while driving .

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 10:52:17 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

I have the HWH leveling system and the RVA hyd leveling system. There may be a control signal from the HWH to the air dump relay (so you don't dump the air while the HWH system is in auto level. I don't know). Perhaps the Air Dump switch opens the "Lower solenoids" on the front and rear HWH manifolds.

I tested power at the dash Air Dump switch with the Key on and I have power "through" the switch.

There is a relay labeled "Air Dump Lock Out" in the front run box. I have power to it but that's as far as I got so far. I'm not sure if the dump switch sends power to the coil control side of the relay or if the relay's ground side it how it is controlled. I'll do some more troubleshooting later this week.

A wiring diagram would be helpful, but I should be able to figure out the relay operation without it (assuming that relay is even part of the air dump system).

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 02:29:19 AM »
Mike
Does your coach have a tag axle if so you maybe looking at a manual tag axle dump switch used for taking the weight off the tag axle for tight corners at low speeds EI ( parking lots of campground maneuvering ) to lesson the side scrub on the tag axle tires

Mike check page 20 on the HWH 2000 series air leveling manual in coach assist it shows the wire peed in for the optional tag axle raise or dump.

Eric
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 02:43:15 AM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 12:00:20 PM »
Hi Eric,
I have a Tag axle, but that has a separate switch. I'll post back what I find once I gat a chance to finish troubleshooting this.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 01:48:43 PM »
Still working on this - just wanted to update. I have not had much time on this since my last post, but I did check the "Dump Lock Out" relay in the front run box.
This is what the relay connections look like.

Oddly, the relay is pulled in (Term 30 to 87 connected) when the Ignition switch is On. So with Ignition On there is no way for the 12V from the dash Dump Switch (circuit 143?) to get through the relay. And with the Ignition switch Off, there is no power to the dash Dump switch.

So how does this circuit work?

Maybe, somehow, the wire on terminal 87a got moved and should be on terminal 87. That would make more sense.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 02:44:36 PM »
Mike
It sounds like Beaver installed that relay to disable the dump switch when the vehicle is running or moving which makes sense to me.
I guess the real question is where does that dump signal goes to from the relay ( possibly the HWH controller?)

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 03:04:56 PM »
My confusion is - the dash switch only has power with the Ignition On, but the Relay is "open" when the ignition switch is On.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 03:37:11 PM »
Mike
The HWH manual shows no reference to a dump switch it does have the tag axle dump switch wiring but no air dump
I wonder if because you have both the RVA hydraulic leveling as well as the HWH air leveling if that switch is there to turn of the HWH system so you can level with the RVA system and not have the HWH try to compensate.
On my RVA manual system there are four dump solenoids one for each corner of the coach which are activated all together to dump the air before leveling ( I seldom use it as it dumps all the air tanks and sets the coach on the frame stops )
Maybe that is what you have as well .

Requires more investigation
Good luck my friend
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 03:57:54 PM »
Mike
Are you sure the relay is connected to the dump switch maybe they are two separate systems one being the HWH power to the controller and the other the RVA air dump function.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 04:07:41 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Mike Shumack

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 07:39:26 PM »
The wiring diagram I have for the 2005 PT doesn't cover this circuit - so it has been hard to trace, but I did find a separate diagram for the "transmission shift panel" where the dump switch is located. It shows the circuit 143 at the switch which is the same circuit number is printed on the wire at the relay.

I may have just found the issue. The wiring at the switch shows the power to the switch is "Battery Power". I currently have "Ignition On" power at the switch. Possibly I plugged the wrong feed wire into the switch when I had everything apart to do the "hydro dipping" of that panel two years ago.

That would make sense since the relay is open with the key on. So the switch only dumps the air if the ignition switch is Off (relay closed). That makes sense.