Author Topic: 2002 Beaver Contessa Hydraulic leveling / slide blowing 200 amp fuse  (Read 2785 times)

Joe Murolo

Hi guys, first time on the board, could really use some guidance.  I’m blowing a 200 amp fuse in the battery bay when trying to use the slide or leveling.  I pulled the pump motor and it looks fine.
Question, can the solenoid go bad and short to ground or can a bad pump overload the motor?  I am a bit low on fluid but that couldn’t cause this.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Joe Murolo
The following users thanked this post: Paul Meehan

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: 2002 Beaver Contessa Hydraulic leveling / slide blowing 200 amp fuse
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 12:52:59 AM »
   Joe,
I think you are on the right tract. Disconnect the battery cable between the solenoid and the pump. The main feed battery cable can then be used to by-pass the solenoid and momentarily touch the pump motor stud to see if the pump runs or not. Solenoids can short internally especially if mounted sideways. Good luck and let us know, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Paul Meehan

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 03:11:56 PM »
Joe, When you test the pump motor remove the solenoid cable to the motor and also put the nut back on the motor terminal so if it arches it will not kill the threads. Removing the solenoid cable take it out of the loop completely.

Joe Murolo

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 09:01:37 PM »
Thanks all, the motor is good so I will order a new solenoid.  If this is not the problem, my big question is:  Can the pump cause the 200 amp fuse blow when the motor is energized?

Any input is welcomed.  I will hope the solenoid resolved this issue but if not, how big a deal is it to replace the pump?

Thanks all!  Joe

Joe Murolo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 07:57:57 PM »
Hi folks, I wanted to add to the dilemma.  I have a new motor installed and bypassed the solenoid for a quick jump.  The motor did nothing and the sparks really flew.  I must have a very direct short to ground but the circuit seems so simple.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I’ll be following the circuit looking for a major short to ground.  Thanks, Joe

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 08:43:48 PM »
Joe, You say now you have a new motor. Did you test run the motor before installing it into the pump? Did you see if the pump will turn without the motor installed. Kind of sounds like the pump is froze up.
Test run the motor without the pump and see if the pump will turn without the motor.

Joe Murolo

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 10:48:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, I will see if I can turn the pump by hand.  I hear the pump is under pressure and I don’t know if it will turn by hand.  I could use a vice grip on the coupling and give it a try.  I’ll also make sure the new motor runs when not mounted on the pump.

Thanks again, will work on this tomorrow.  We have it in a Public storage unit.

Joe

Joe Murolo

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 02:53:19 PM »
Looks like I need to replace the hydraulic pump.  Anyone have an idea where I can get a replacement or what the specs are so I can match it up?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Joe Murolo

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 06:25:10 PM »
So pulled the pump and thinking I’ll bring it to a rebuilder for a look.  Will have to compare costs to a new pump.  Will post results.

Joe