Author Topic: TRACE Xantrex SW2512 Configuration Settings  (Read 2711 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
TRACE Xantrex SW2512 Configuration Settings
« on: September 04, 2021, 12:52:44 AM »
I realize that this is likely a long shot... but here goes....

Chassis batteries are toast and I’ve ordered new Lifeline AGM’s.  I hear that AGM’s are susceptible to overheating and care must be taken not to charge to fast or to overcharge.  I have the inverter user manual (135 pages) and while I’d like to think that I’m fairly technical... I must admit that I might be in over my head in knowing what values to program in after installing the batteries.

While I could go through the menus and write down every setting, the batteries were completely discharged and I am concerned that likely reset it to factory defaults.  Furthermore, the manual indicates that when battery power is disconnected it will reset to defaults - so installing the newe batteries will reset to factory defaults.

Does anybody have any guidance or a Xantrex worksheet regarding configuration settings?  As mentioned I am installing 6 Lifeline AGM batteries.  I think the primary configuration settings I need to know are those that establish the charging levels for BULK and FLOAT Charging.  I also want to configure the inverter so that if it drops below a voltage level that would likely cause damage that the inverter shuts itself down.  (That is what happened to my batteries... a load was left on and the inverter started on until the batteries were less than 9 volts)

Like I said, it’s probably a long shot but thought I’d ask to see if anybody has a list of configuration values that they might share.  The coach is a 2004 Marquis.

Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: TRACE Xantrex SW2512 Configuration Settings
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 02:32:25 AM »
I am not sure what you are asking for, but these are the specs I found in the Xantrex Trace 2512 SW manual.  I copied and pasted the table, then tried to format it so that you can make sense of it.
================================================================
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/discontinued-products/sw2512mc-sw4024mc2userguide.pdf

Table 6 on Page 104, Battery Charging: Charging Setpoints
TYPICAL BULK AND FLOAT SETPOINTS FOR COMMON BATTERY TYPES
Battery Type,     Bulk Volts,     Float Volts,     Equalizing Charge Process

Sealed Gel
Lead Acid battery,   14.1 VDC BULK,    13.6 VDC FLOAT,   Not Recommended - Consult manufacturer

A.G.M.
Lead Acid battery,   14.4 VDC BULK,    13.4 VDC FLOAT,   Charge to 15.5 VDC or as per manufacturer

Maintenance-Free RV/Marine
Lead Calcium Battery       14.4 VDC BULK,   13.4 VDC FLOAT,   Not Recommended - Consult manufacturer

Deep-Cycle, Liquid Electrolyte
Lead Antimony Battery      14.6 VDC BULK,    13.4 VDC FLOAT,    Charge to 15.8 VDC or as per manufacturer

NiCad or NiFe Alkaline Battery*
(using 10 cells in series)        16.0 VDC BULK,    14.5 VDC FLOAT,     Consult manufacturer

Note: Values shown are for 12 volt systems. For 24 volt systems multiply the settings shown by 2. For
48 volt systems multiply the settings shown by 4. These settings are guidelines, refer to your
battery manufacturer for specific settings
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 02:58:12 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Rick Vyncke

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 02:57:34 PM »
Thank you David!  That helps...

I think my main concern was that when the Xantrex “Resets to factory defaults” that those settings might be completely out of whack for what is needed.  But... I think what I’m seeing is that the factory defaults are either right-on or very close for most applications.

Is it fair to say that for the most part, after installing new batteries... a user should only have to adjust the battery type (I am getting AGM) and the charging levels?  Understanding that there are some advanced features (like auto-start generator) that I don’t necessarily need. 

My primary goal is to ensure that the Xantrex is configured to maintain the batteries as best possible.  A secondary goal is to shut down the inverter if the voltage get’s too low... I’ve found that setting and the default looks to be 11 volts.  Is that a good number to prevent over-discharge damage?  Or should it be a bit higher than that?
Rick V
43'
C12

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 03:53:00 PM »
Rick, 11 volts for a cutoff voltage won't save your new batteries, I would try 12.25v (or 12v) and see if that works. The issue here is the inverter cutoff voltage is taken while the circuit is running, not at what is called 'resting'' voltage. So you have to play with the setting to see how low you can go without damaging the batteries. The only way I know of to protect your batteries is to keep them on a charger (plugged into shore power) or disconnect the neg battery cable. BTW, even if you set your inverter cutoff voltage, your inverter will still be 'on' and will drain your batteries until dead. Just the nature of the beast.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 04:12:12 PM »
   Rick,
Do you use your inverter when you dry camp? Do you have a residential refrigerator? Bill's recommendation is based on the house batteries eventually being drawn down to 12.2 volts and with that I agree. However if you were dry camping and in the morning you turned on a coffee maker or microwave, you would see the house voltage drop to 11.4 volts while the inverter is under a load. That setting of 12.2 volts threshold would be too high to let the inverter to stay on line. My recommendation is to install the new batteries, set them for "AGM" and the rest to "default" settings. Now perform your own tests under real life applications and fine tune if you think it is necessary. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

William Jordan

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 06:42:49 PM »
If I remember there are several settings on the trace. Including generator start volts to save the batteries, I googled the inverter and number and found a complete guide. Of course now when I look I can't find it.  The inverter is overly complex due to its advanced capabilities and custom uses at the time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 06:50:54 PM by William Jordan »

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 01:00:45 AM »
Thank you all for the feedback!  I’m going to take Fred’s advice and after installing the new batteries set the inverter for AGM and then accept the defaults.  Sounds like the best way for me to stay out of trouble..
Rick V
43'
C12
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 02:50:04 PM »
   Rick,
 Out of all the inverter remotes of that era, Trace is the most overwhelming to comprehend. The instructions were written by an engineer who understands the product but puts you in "information overload". If you read each section about three times and then play with the remote it kind of makes sense. Personally, I appreciate your caution. Hope you get to enjoy your coach and upcoming adventures! Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 04:16:56 AM »
Thank you again Fred… I always enjoy reading your responses and marvel at your wealth of knowledge.  We’ve owned our Marquis for about 8 years and absolutely love it.  Don’t get to use it as much as we’d like because we’ve got a few more years prior to retirement. 

Have taken your advice and have been reading and re-reading the Xantrex user manual.  I am considering trying to program the generator auto-start.  It has a 12.5kw Onan diesel generator.  I have a question related to that… how do I ensure that it does start while in storage?  It is plugged into a 30 amp circuit and the inverter is set to charge while in storage which (I think) will prevent the auto-start from firing.  But what if the storage center lost power and the batteries got low… might it start the gen at that point?

I want to use auto-start but not if there is any way that it could fire while in storage.  And I don’t want to use the battery disconnects while in storage because I won’t be able to charge the batteries.
Rick V
43'
C12

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 04:18:54 PM »
   Rick,
  I can understand the redundancy you are looking for. However let me ask a few questions first. Has the storage facility ever lost power? How many times have you returned to the coach and have no shore power? How often do you visit your coach in storage?. To answer your first question, yes the generator will run if shore power is lost but not until the house batteries voltage falls below the threshold you have set. That may not be for days or longer. Another issue is the "quiet time" setting in the AGS menu. It is military time so it should be 21:00 to 08:00 hours and even with that, your storage facility may call the fire department if they catch it running unattended at any time. So talk to them first. If you leave the AGS enabled and use the coach and start the generator from a remote other than the Trace, it may shut the generator back off if the battery voltage is satisfied according to the threshold settings of "fully charged". IMHO it is an option that really only applies if you were living in the coach and decided to leave for an extended period of time.
   These coaches are confusing enough for the average guy so why add something else to worry about. I am sure there will be some kick back on that statement but you are a conscientious guy so you make the call. Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 04:38:21 PM »
Thanks Fred!  Have never seen the storage center lose power.  We do not live in the coach full-time.   Gonna take your advice and leave the AGS disabled. 

I don’t want to create a real problem when trying to fix a potential problem.

Thank you again!!!
Rick V
43'
C12
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks