Author Topic: Storage Bay Doors  (Read 11035 times)

Dick Simonis

Storage Bay Doors
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »
The learning experience never seems to stop.  Latest mind bender is the storage bay doors.

It seems that I have one latch with the plastic plunger broken and one latch that doesn't quite catch....it almost goes past the fixed aluminium piece but not quite.  I suspect I need at least 2 replacements and probably one for spare parts.

Also, I found out that most of the bays have an electric lock but in checking further it appears one or two don't work.  Key works but electric doesn't.

I havn't dug into this too deeply as more serious issues have been presenting themselves (i.e. fixing my golf game) but they are next on my list so any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

Dick and Pat

LEAH DRAPER

Re: Storage Bay Doors
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »
If you remove the alum panel on the inside of the door you may find that wires have come apart, thus no connection for the electric.  I found this happened on my 99Pat/Thunder.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:07:18 PM »

Your very close to Monaco's part's store located in Coburg, if you do need a new lock they should have them in stock.

I had a lock plunger break a few years ago on our old rig with the lift up style doors, I was able to get a new plunger and replace just the plunger instead of the whole lock.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »
There is also a company that advertises in the FMCA magazine that makes an aluminium replacement for the plunger.  Phone numbers are (661) 274-1966 and (661) 206 8465.  Website is http://www.rbmachininginc.com.  I have not used his latches --- yet!

Ken Buck

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »
Did you know that by FederalLaw the compartment with your propane tank(s) cannot be locked, and generally the compartment with your electrical disconnect switches, and/or batteries will not lock electrically. Thinking about it logically the propane might need to be turned off in an emergency, perhaps by a first responder, by you, or another passerby who discovers a leak. The battery and switch doors are a little more arcane to my way of thinking. If an electrical fire were to occur you'd want to turn off and disconnect the batteries and the electric lock might not be working at that time. So, you'd need a key. Apparently battery theft or mischief is common enough to warrant locking and the inconvenience in an emergency. Those might be your compartments that aren't working?

Speaking of emergencies, how long would it take to find the correct size wrench and get it to the battery compartment, to disconnect them in an emergency? How much would it cost to buy an extra wrench of the proper size and keep it hanging in that compartment, just in case? If I was away from the motorhome, my wife would have no idea where to find the wrench to give to another camper to help her. Just a thought about preplanning.......

Ken

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »
I found the exact replacement Baggage Door Latches at Camping World. part #E523  As I recall they were about $6 each.

Paul

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:49:08 AM »
Ken is right, Dick.  The electrical bay below the driver, and one or two more are not in the electrically activated club, so don't fret over those - they aren't likely broken.  There have been discussions about bay latches on this Forum from time to time, and not so long ago.  A Search of threads or tags may reveal useful information including suppliers of original and more durable latch mechanisms (including Bill's suggestion), as well as methods of opening jammed ones.  ;)

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:33:08 PM »
The logic on the propane locker makes a lot of sense.  Using the same logic, I wonder why that door isn't obviously labelled Propane Valve Inside.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
I don't know about anyone else, but I just as soon NOT have all those "stickers" on my doors, messing up the paint.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:28:22 AM »
Search Basement Door Latches on this Forum, for previous discussion of this topic.

You own the coach.  If you do not like the labels all over the body, remove them with a heat gun or hair dryer.  There may be regulations about the one on the LPG door, however.

Larry

Ken Buck

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 02:40:04 AM »
Quote from: ]The logic on the propane locker makes a lot of sense.  Using the same logic, I wonder why that door isn't obviously labelled Propane Valve Inside.[/quote

Remember years ago when we had the phony gas shortages there were some folks converting to run on propane and there were a lot of bumpers with diamond shaped "Propane" stickers on them. Seems like a reasonable item to have on the door if it was reasonably sized and not obtrusive.

Ken

Keith Oliver

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »
There is a door with air shocks but no latch, passenger side, just aft of the front wheel well.  It latches with pins at the bottom and has a floor and back, but is open to the air bag and the back of the wheel well.  This spot appears to be perfect for a little portable BBQ and its own 5lb tank.  Is there an easy way to fit a latching mechanism, better than the pins at the bottom?  Has anyone attached a hose to the coach's propane system?  If so, what components are required?
As for the propane locker, on mine, there is a sticker "LPG" that is pretty obvious.
The electrics locks are on all latching bay doors except the one over the batteries.  It has no lock, just a handle that looks the same as the locking ones.