Author Topic: Basement A/C units run constantly  (Read 5303 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Basement A/C units run constantly
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2021, 10:42:22 PM »
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,4671.msg35204.html#msg35204
 Sorry about that, computor stuff still a challenge for old techs.
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Ron Rittenhouse

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2021, 04:11:07 AM »
Fred,
Will uninstall T-stat again and test the wiring coming in at bottom of control panel area.  If it shows no 12v hot, will turn focus to relays.  If black wire shows 12v hot and wiring issue, where to start is the next question.  If it's relays, would you still suggest replacing thermostat with Coleman?  Will keep you posted on developments.  Thanks, again. Ron
2000 Marquis
C12

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2021, 03:09:05 PM »
   Ron,
 You are on the right tract and thanks for hanging in there. Once you figure it out, joy will be your reward!. Normally relay 5 and 6 only activate when they see 12volt from the t-stat. If a 12volt source is accidently powering up the black wire, you get the blowers. With the t-stat connected but turned off, the black wire should not have 12 volt.
  I would definitely install the Coleman t-stat once you solve your issue. It has a digital read out of room temperature and set points and works well with the Hurricane furnace/water heater. Another feature is if left on "auto" and it calls for cooling, it only turns on compressor #1 to try and maintain ambient temperature to save power. If not satisfied, it turns on compressor #2 also to satisfy your set point. Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Ron Rittenhouse

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 06:00:30 PM »
Fred,
Thanks very much. Worked yesterday, but plan to use probe tester on black wire today after uninstalling t-stat (again). If black wire hot, will try to track down why.  Sincerely hoping it's relays. will let you know. Been trying to focus thinking in this direction: Phil. 4:4-7. Blessings,
Ron
2000 Marquis
C12
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 11:15:15 PM »
   Hey Ron,
  Enclosed please find some pix of the T-Stat wiring as it enters the air conditioner @lower right side corner. You will notice that there are 3 spare wires that are not being used. Brown, Green, and white. In the event the black wire picked up 12 volt from an unknown source, you can isolate it at each end and then use the brown wire to replace it. If the #5 & #6 relays are stuck in the run position, you will have to replace them.
  When my outside blower relay failed on my PC board, you can see where I temporarily installed a cole hersey 12 volt 30 amp relay so I could use the coach air conditioner.
  Best part about Phil 4: 6-7 it is my favorite verse and He has the Power to guard my Heart. Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2021, 11:17:02 PM »
  Ron, here is the other 2 pix
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2021, 03:23:35 PM »
   Greetings,
For those folks that are following this post and have the SCS basement air conditioner, we have traced the failure to the PC board Relay #RL-2. It is the relay that controls the evaporator and condenser blower motors. It is a common failure on the board. The part # for the relay is RH4V2-U-DC110V. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV