Author Topic: My Motorhome's Last Stand  (Read 5822 times)

Jon Hubbell

My Motorhome's Last Stand
« on: August 18, 2021, 05:27:55 AM »
This is a sad post and I am not sure if it is the right thread to post it on, but here goes.

The engine in my dearly loved Beaver Monterey just breathed its last.  One cylinder just ate its injector, two other cylinders are scored beyond repair and it would cost about $30K to replace it.  The rest of the coach is in "not bad" condition for a 20-year old coach that was fulltime home for 17 1/2 of those years.

Can anyone suggest how and where I can wholesale or otherwise pass it on to someone who would like to part it out or would want to repair it and/or park it somewhere to live in it like a park model or any other reason/use they could put it to?  It is currently located in Lewiston, ID, which is about two hours south of Spokane, WA (Google it).  It is at a CAT repair facility so they would like it to be gone in the next two or three weeks.

Bill Sprague

Re: My Motorhome's Last Stand
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 04:18:18 PM »
Jon,

One possibility is the Beaver Motorhome Fans group on Facebook.  They have 1300 members.  Many seem to be rebuilding, remodeling and restoring Beavers.   Several BAC members are part of that group and can post for you if you are not a member and don't want to be.   

Have you called Dave Atherton?  He has rescued more than a few Cat engines.  He might have some alternatives.

Do you need help hauling stuff home?  BJ and I are available to drive over, rent a U-Haul trailer and pull it back to Panorama. 

(Note to other BAC members, the Hubbels are neighbors in our Lacey, WA "retirement resort" and have been parking their Monterey directly across from us in our storage 'park'. )

Alan Lescarbeau

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 05:25:32 PM »
FYI you might be able to find an independent shop, you should be able to get a replacement rebuilt motor delivered for under $10 K.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 11:26:56 PM »
Jon,

I would recommend https://rvparts.visonerv.com/for a graveyard. Also, you may want to talk with Dave Atherton about his recommendation for fixing or not. Dave is a BAC member and master CAT mechanic.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 09:43:49 PM »
Jon
Other members have found themselves in a tight spot on their engine and replaced it through a salvage yard like Visone mentioned above. 
Your coach is likely worth more with a running engine and allows you options.
By all means talk to Dave Atherton first.
Good luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 01:39:11 AM »
John,
If you decide to go the engine replacement route try to ensure the engine is from a motorhome and not a truck as there are differences in the ECU programming.
Good Luck, Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 03:47:33 PM »
Jon, let me give you some advice on engine problem , first of all details are few as to what engine you may have. Second there are several ways to get you out of your problem. We all have different ideas
as how to address rebuild , replacement with used takeout engines, rebuilt crate engine etc. I have helped many motorhome owners in many different RVClubs with a successful results going with engine
Used replacement. There are several factors to weight before doing anything. What is my motorhome
worth today and what age are we planning on retirement of our motorhome. Myself spending $ 30,000.
for a out of frame rebuild would not be a good choice. Finding a take out caterpillar used $ 5,000. to
$ 8,500. to $ 10,500 top end. In most cases labor R&R $ 4,000. To $ 6,000. 

Ok let’s talk used Caterpillar engines ( engines are very durable rebuilt or used. ) I can assist in
several ways to assure you location of used take out. Getting engine same Serial number Gp ,
Install   Oil sample before buying used engines. Yes it may sound that I like Caterpillar products
been around caterpillars on road and off road for a very long time. Give me a call and we can
relate direction that may suit your bank account. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 03:27:39 PM »
We live in the same community with the Hubbells.  I ran into them on a walk yesterday.  The news was good.  They said that Dave Atherton helped them find an engine that made sense and they will be having it installed in Spokane soon. 

Thank you Dave!
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Carr, David T. Richelderfer, Bob Stone, Keith Phillips, Bob Disney, Ron Davis

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 01:51:47 AM »
Bill
That's great news  another thanks too Dave

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Jon Hubbell

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 10:58:09 PM »
Bill is correct.  We have purchased a replacement engine from Colaw RV Salvage in Missouri.  It was shipped on 8/26 and will arrive in Spokane, WA, about 9/10.  It will be installed by Western States CAT and should be ready to go a couple weeks after that.

Thanks everybody (especially Dave Atherton for locating the engine) for all the advice.  It is good to have an organization like the BAC to back you up.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Carr