Author Topic: Basement door stuck  (Read 2671 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Basement door stuck
« on: August 28, 2021, 07:33:42 PM »
One of the latches on one of our basement doors refuses to open despite applying the Beaver knee.  Of course, it's the bay that holds our 50 amp cord.  Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: Basement door stuck
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 01:08:24 AM »
On my coach I sometimes have to pry the door open with a flat bladed screw driver.  I put it in at the latch point and slide the door down slightly.  This will usually open it.  The doors have a little movement in them side to side and sometimes they can make one latch to tight.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 06:09:24 PM »
I would first put the coach in travel mode, and go out and try to open it, using the beaver knee prior to raising the handle.  If that doesn't work then I try a flat putty knife to try and force the plastic tip on the lock forward or aft, depending on which side of the door it is located.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 09:54:22 PM »
Thanks, guys.  The problem occurred, I believe, because the bedroom slide was extended.  I previously opened that bay when the slide was retracted.  I retracted the slide and the door reluctantly opened.  It's still a tad too finicky but operable. 

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 11:44:59 PM »
I often took WD40 to it as a cleaner and after it dried a good lube.  All tabs and the latch.  When the tabs hang us they can break too easily.  Last Newell I found was at BCS parts.  Not sure now.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 12:44:57 AM »
Make sure all mounting screws on latch components are positioned optimally and are snug.  One of mine hung up once, but after I eventually got it free I found a missing latch screw.  Slamming bay doors can break or loosen the screws, so of course we try to never do that.  If yours is finicky now it will frustrate you again down the road if no preventive action is taken.  At least make sure the latch mechanism and “bolt” are lubed.  I prefer dry silicone wherever possible to restrict dirt accumulation, but WD-40 and similar wet products penetrate where dry silicone doesn’t.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat