Author Topic: Is this what I think it is?  (Read 1762 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Is this what I think it is?
« on: September 24, 2021, 09:04:54 PM »
After returning home from our trip around Lake Michigan, I found this on our concrete pad after we finished unloading the coach.

I'm guessing its a slide wheel. It was on the pad where our street-side living slide would be, when extended. I should be thankful it waited until we got home to fall off.

Any tips on where to look for it? Is it replaceable? Part available? (click on pics to enlarge)

TIA

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Is this what I think it is?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 12:29:16 AM »
   Stan,
Take look ay the end of the out-rigger tube. (the tubing that fits inside the out-rigger that actually pushes and pulls the room. It is a guide roller to keep things aligned. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 07:29:23 AM »
Maybe that bearing froze up?  Something stressed the mounting bolt.  Looks like you’ll be drilling a broken stud end, Stan, and tapping with a screw puller.  That’s always fun.  Drill wide but drill perfectly straight.  Patience is most important.

Good luck.  Maybe the stud broke because it had loosened and backed out a bit, making it askew.  Then perhaps the stud isn’t jammed in there too tightly, or is sticking out enough to get a pliers grip on it.  Actually the broken part looks like a plastic insert;  can’t tell despite your great photographs.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 06:13:00 PM »
I will post what I find out, when I do. Fred, can you give me a picture of this out-rigging tube? Joel, the only steel is the bolt/pin. The wheel and the sleeve are both plastic. Good catch.

Also, Becky comes in to the driveway ahead of me when we get home, as we unhook a couple of miles from home due to some nasty turns in our road home. She told me that this part was laying on the pad when she arrived home with the toad, meaning it fell off before we left in mid-August. So, that means it could have come from any slide, but its still likely its the one I mentioned, due to its location when I found it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 06:40:43 PM by Stan Simpson »
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 09:16:56 PM »
     In addition to the usual suspects, BCS and Northwest RV Supply, to find your replacement guide rollers, take the dimensions and check McMaster Carr: 

https://www.mcmaster.com/phenolic-wheels/
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 12:45:18 AM »
    Stan,
This a picture of the wiper seal I replaced so disregard the arrow. Off to the right is the outrigger. Extend your room and follow the tubing attached to the room edge where it goes back into the out-rigger. You will see where the guide rollers fit to keep the tube aligned. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 08:26:01 PM »
Here is what I found when I looked in the area in the picture that Fred Brooks posted. The first picture is the outrigger tube on the far end while my slide is extended. The second picture is the rollers (one missing) on the near end of the tube when the slide is extended. As you can see, one of the rollers is missing. It appears I was fortunate that the mounting bolt shown above in my original post sheared off. Looking at the remaining roller, the bolt is threaded and held on by a nut, the hex key head is on the inside. I'm guessing I just need to find a replacement bolt, and fasten the roller back on.

Thanks for the help all. For some reason iPhone photos appear oriented incorrectly. I think if click on them to enlarge, they orient correctly.

2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 12:03:47 AM »
Make sure the bearing in the guideroller still works correctly.  If it’s seized up it’ll likely snap off a new bolt when stressed.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat