Author Topic: Shower Skylight Replacement  (Read 1465 times)

Don White

• BAC Member
Shower Skylight Replacement
« on: October 27, 2021, 12:06:56 AM »
I'm about to take on replacing the shower skylight and just wanted to check with the group to see if anyone has done it before and has any words of wisdom they can share.  The skylight is cracking and leaking due to UV damage.

I've been looking at ICON Direct for a replacement.  If anyone has any experience with them please let me know, good, bad or indifferent.  www.icondirect.com/skylights/

Thanks in advance.

Don
Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Shower Skylight Replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 12:41:58 AM »
   Don,
I have dealt with Icon in the past for replacements and it is a quality product. The dimensions are pretty close however the holes will have to drilled as they are not identical. After a thorough cleaning apply Butyl tape (not putty tape) and install new screws and do not over tighten and stress the sky-light. Finish with roof sealant called Dicor non-self leveling using a 2" throw away paint brush. Apply the dicor in "quarter" size circles over the edge of the skylight as you move down each edge. Take your paint brush and move real slow in one direction and then back and it will "level" in about 5 minutes. This will give you a factory appearance to your installation. Not too much fun on your knees but you will appreciate the outcome. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Bryan Beamon, Michael Rump

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 04:49:09 AM »
Don
Both of our replacement skylights came from BCS for $150. Or so.
Use an oscillating tool from Dremmel or Rigid from Hoe Depot.  The Acrylar sealant is tough to remove and this will save hours.
Acrylar is available in a call tube from BCS.
Good luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 05:48:13 PM »
Not too much fun on your knees but you will appreciate the outcome. Fred

This is the best knee saver on the market. I have one in every bay of my coach, and one on the inside. As soon as I open a bay door, I drop one on the ground. When I go on the roof, I toss one up there before I climb the ladder. I got them for $7.99 each at Ace Hardware. I have never been able to find them on Ace Hardware's website, but they are at individual stores. I've found them in Florida, Wisconsin, and Illinois. I have even called the manufacturer direct and they have told me where I can purchase them. They are made by Earth Edge Products in Hickory, NC. They are 1-1/2 inches thick and are perfect for kneeling on tile floors, concrete, and gravel surfaces. Click on the pictures to enlarge.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Eric Maclean, Jeffrey Antonelli

Jeffrey Antonelli

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 09:33:13 PM »
My shower skylight had a leak previous to my owning it. While the leak was fixed, the wood surround on the inside is badly damaged. Has anyone replaced this wood? I'd love to know what to look for to replace it.

PS. Eric Maclean gave me terrific advice on removing the leak stains on the ceiling "hull fabric" I think it is called. I used Folex and my carpet cleaner upholstery attachment to take the staining out! Looks much better now!

Jeff Antonelli
1996 Patriot Yorktown

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 11:16:09 PM »
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson