Author Topic: Mystery Noise  (Read 1721 times)

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
Mystery Noise
« on: October 30, 2021, 02:01:55 AM »
Continuing to figure out all system on our rig as we travel the west. I am hearing what sounds like motor go off, most of the time with a clicking noise. IT sounds like it is coming from under the bathroom or front part of the bedroom. It appears to go off randomly both day and night. I checked systems while it is going off and have determined that it is not the water pump or the basement heat exchanger. Any ideas? My sense is that something is running that shouldn't be, but obviously have not been able to determine the source. Thanks as always for the assistance. 
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder
45'
C-13

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Mystery Noise
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 03:27:07 AM »
Bill
It's possibly a make up air compressor. For the air leveling system.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 08:49:30 AM »
This topic was broached not long ago by someone else, and I think it was another Patriot.  As Eric notes, it’s likely the auxiliary compressor, as I believe was diagnosed with that one.  Unlike many of our rigs where the device is mounted under the front entry area, that one was under the mid to rear coach area.

To revisit that analysis, Bill, if you park and then level the rig by using the Automatic button on your HWH air leveling pad, rather than doing it manually on the pad, then the Automatic system thereafter wakes up every half hour or so and checks the levelness.  If it’s off somewhere then it activates the auxiliary compressor to pump up the low bag.  If the coach is raised relatively high while parked, air may be let out of the high bag instead.  This will go on until you return the coach to Travel Mode on the pad and the Auto Level is thereby turned off.  The randomness you report can be just from occupants changing position within the coach, like everyone going to bed, throwing balance off enough that an otherwise stable air system needed tweaking at the next auto-check.

I can’t speak to the “clicking” you’re hearing, though.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 03:18:07 PM »
  Bill,
If your house batteries are starting to time out, the inverter/charger may be cycling. It goes into Bulk charge first which causes a click then the fan comes on. When was the last time that you "equalized" the house batteries? Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 04:17:30 PM »
Thanks guys, I think you are dead on with it being the auxiliary compressor. Now need to figure out what's triggering it to go on. It is going off at night when nothing is moving. I have noticed that the leveling has not been working after we get set-up. Often a day or so after setting up in park I need to auto level again. After I level out again it will remain level for weeks. I'm wondering if the clicking might be a valve trying to open? Thanks for the assistance.   
45'
C-13

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 04:22:28 PM »
Fred, "equalizing" the batteries is a new one to me. The easy answer there is never. We've had the coach for six months now.
45'
C-13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 04:35:28 PM »
To turn off the HWH aux compressor; turn ign key to ON, then press  Emergency Stop once on the HWH control panel, then turn ign key off. If the sound goes away, then you know its the aux air compressor. As far as equalizing your house batteries, look it up in your inverter/charger manual, it will tell you how to eq your batteries.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »
Thanks Bill
45'
C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 09:05:17 PM »
Continuing to figure out all system on our rig as we travel the west. I am hearing what sounds like motor go off, most of the time with a clicking noise. IT sounds like it is coming from under the bathroom or front part of the bedroom. 

I don't know where the HWH compressor is mounted on a 2007 Patriot, but on the 2005 PT it is in the front next to the AC condenser (directly behind the bumper area). Just thought I'd mention that in case you are still trying to figure out where yours is located.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 12:27:30 AM »
   Bill,
I was kind of going with the location of the noise that you opened with. Now that you have shared that you are having an issue with your leveling, I am inclined to agree with the cycling air compressor. Try Bill Lampkins suggestion and isolate the compressor. If that turns out to be the case, then you have the adventure of locating the slow leak. Perhaps one of the 6-pack leveling solenoids. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 03:09:05 AM »
Apparently my problem has been staring at me, the compressor has been doing what it is supposed to do, I have air leak somewhere on the driver's side. FYI our 2007 PT has a Level system. Next step is to try and find the leak, any recommendations as to how to attempt find it. Thanks
45'
C-13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 03:15:06 AM »
Soapy water sprayed on each air line connection will reveal air leaks. The long answer is; can you lift and support the motorhome body while you roll under it to do your inspection. Take your coach to a shop where they have the jacks and blocks needed to do the job safely.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 04:09:49 AM »
Yep, I thinks that's the route to go. We're on the road near Sedona; we'll need to track down a shop that has some experience. Thanks
45'
C-13