Author Topic: Intermitant Loss of directional signals,brake lights & Hazard lights  (Read 1650 times)

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
Today went to storage lot to start the motor home and charge the batteries.  I found that I did not have any directional signals, brake lights, cyclops brake light or Hazard lights. I checked the circuits in the front runbox and rear run box and the fuses were all good.

Sometime later I changed the angle of the steering column and then my directional signals, brake lights, cyclops brake light and Hazard lights began working... I normally get a buzzing warning noise when I turn on the turn signals but that sound is not there even though the signals were working.

I think there is something happening in the steering column...nearly broken wires, short.. etc.

I have not yet removed the shroud. I was kind of worried that there might be an airbag in the steering wheel that needed to be disiabled first.  Is there one?
Gary & Bonnie Curtis (Cincinnati, OH)
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder - Hanover 44    #043155
CAT C-13, 525HP, Alison 4000MH
Towing 2019 Tesla M3 (Sparkie)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Intermitant Loss of directional signals,brake lights & Hazard lights
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 04:32:04 AM »
Gary,
I would look for a bad connection at a connector. Suggest you unplug them, spray contacts with contact cleaner and re-connect. I suspect you are losing a 12v or gnd.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Gary Curtis

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 01:37:34 PM »
Thanks Steve,

This motor home is fairly new to me. Do you have any experience tearing into a steering column?

My first concern is if there is an air bag in the steering wheel.

My second is if I have all the tools to disassemble the schrod and then get it all back together.

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 03:44:10 PM »
I've done a lot of research on the steering column and It appears that I have the Douglas Autotech tilt and telescopic column
http://www.douglasautotech.com/

with a VIP V4S smart wheel.
https://www.imminet.com/products/steering-wheels/v4-smartwheel-series/

It is possible to kit the steering wheel with an IMMI 4FRONT Driver Airbag.
I'm not sure if mine has that but I will approach it with caution first disconnecting the chassis battery and battery switch before playing with the horn pad.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 06:14:03 PM »
   Gary,
 Where the column tilts forward or aft, behind that shroud you will find the connector for the turn signal and hazard lights. As I recall, not uncommon for that connector to become partially disconnected over time especially if you let the steering wheel "snap" forward towards the dash. The shroud comes apart fairly easy. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 10:29:03 PM »
Gary,
Fred is correct. No need to pull wheel or mess w/airbag. Connector Fred indicates is suspect one. Your reported symptoms seem to rule out a smart wheel issue.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 04:37:07 PM »
I went back the storage lot today and found that I had no brake lights or turn signals again!

I removed the two shrouds on the steering column and had a look. Nothing really jumped out as being wrong. None of the insulation on the wires was worn or burned.

There is a black wire loom with four wires that plugs into the back of the horn button area, a mess of white wires that plug into the back of the turn signal lever switch and the hazard light switch (also part of the turn signal assembly).

I grabbed the Hazard light switch and cycled it several times out of frustration and low and behold I have lights again!

I guess it is time for a new turn signal assembly.

Thanks for the support...the hazard switch would have been my last guess as the problem.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 04:47:10 PM by Gary Curtis »

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 01:10:55 PM »
I emailed customer support at Douglas Autotech and sent them images of the part number sticker on the steering column shroud and also the the turn signal assembly. They got back to me and confirmed that I was looking for Part Number: TS012

I found 3 different sources on Ebay ranging $75-$80 so maybe I'll have reliable turn signals by the weekend.

Douglas Auto tech does not sell to the public but provided sources, unfortunately none of the sources would sell the part to me without a commercial account. The sources are probably the first ones to complain about Ebay and Amazon encroaching on their brick and mortar biz but at least I gave them a chance.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 10:44:30 PM »
Sounds good - let us know how responsive the Ebay seller is. That may be a good source to save.