Author Topic: Radiator hose leak  (Read 1543 times)

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
Radiator hose leak
« on: October 06, 2021, 04:17:02 AM »
Hi, I'm out on the road and at an RV park just outside Colorado Springs for a few days. Saw low coolant in the reservoir and after refilling this eve noticed the hose is leaking just below the attach at the reservoir. I'm sure there's not enough slack to cut and re-attach so guess I'll either need to haul into truck shop or call mobile mechanic. Any suggestions out there for service in Colorado Springs? Could I just cut out the bad section and splice the hose with a short section? Not sure if this is something I can tackle myself at the campground here.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Radiator hose leak
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 07:54:52 AM »
In our providers guide, the only one in Co. Springs, Transwest, got a negative review from club member Rick Vyncke.  And it was just last May, so I’d avoid that place.  There are other Colorado service providers with positive optics, so you might check the list out in the Private Members Only section here.  The list is a PDF that I’ve had trouble downloading on my iPad, but should work fine on other devices.  And a CAT certified truck shop should be acceptable, although the hose isn’t necessarily a CAT part.  Consider Wagner Equipment:

Wagner Equipment Co.
990 Meadowbrook Pkwy
Colorado Springs, CO 80915
MAIN PHONE NUMBER:
719-390-7316

They are more into construction equipment than trucks I think, but may be helpful.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:07:29 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 01:53:42 PM »
rvservicereviews.com has a long list of RV service providers in Colorado Springs.  I noticed one has 10 excellent reviews plus there are mobile providers.  The whole list has ratings from excellent to very good.

http://www.rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?Submit=&sortby=location&state=CO&search=&CategoryID=&ZipCode=&Miles=&SearchState=&KeywordState=
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 02:38:55 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 10:27:08 PM »
Late reply but thanks for the pointers. Called Coachnet just to see what the response was - they faithfully called all day but were unable to find a mobile mechanic (everyone booked solid). They offered to tow but I didn't want to do that. Called about 10 places in CSprings (most were scheduling many weeks out, some months out). Finally got lucky and found Phases Auto and Truck repair just 10mi up the road. Was able to drive there with no overheating issues and they were able to get it in 8am next day. Luckily the overflow tank wasn't cracked and the hose had failed just below the connection to the overflow tank outlet.  That's a very heavy wire wound hose and they said they wouldn't be able to get a replacement like that - and didn't have time/schedule to locate a hose for several days. They ended up just cutting out the bad section and found enough slack to re-attach. In hindsight I could have done it myself but was not wanting to risk dumping gallons of coolant at the campground if something went wrong. New hose now on my list of future maintenance.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington