Author Topic: purchasing a 2003 marquis 68k miles (help)  (Read 4043 times)

Michael DeFalco

purchasing a 2003 marquis 68k miles (help)
« on: October 06, 2021, 05:13:31 PM »
can anyone tell me what i should be most concerned with on this purchase. i understand breaks , batts and some ovious things but are there things with this unit that should concern me. ??
thank you  mike

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: purchasing a 2003 marquis 68k miles (help)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 05:59:00 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase Michael, I would look at the tires date, they are good for 7 years and a full replacement of Michelin's will run a little over $6,000. the date will be code on the tire side walls. Aqua Hot service and is this working it may be a big $$ repair. Check the slide operation. Refrigerator working? Look for leaks inside from side wall caulking

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 02:04:20 AM »
Micheal, suggest you take the coach to a Cat dealer to run engine diagnostic codes and check the allison control panel yourself for diagnostic codes.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 02:15:42 PM »
Take an oil and transmission samples to Cat dealer or send it off to Blackstone Lab. Park on a flat surface on concrete or asphalt overnight and observe for leaks. Leave coach aired up a few hours with motor off and observe how quickly it loses air. Check to see if floor around toilet is weak. Check aqua hot for proper functioning and ensure its exhaust pipe is firmly connected to bottom of coach. As indicated earlier, tires are important…. Should not be over 7 years old no matter how good they look. I use Sumitomo tires which cost less than most tires but IMHO…. Are just as good if not better than the rest.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 02:45:31 PM »
     Michael,
 Hopefully the coach came with all the owners manuals, if not we have a library of information under "coach assist". My suggestion would be to systematically read thru each support system so you have an understanding how everything works and the associated maintenance. We are here to help and guide you thru your adventure. Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Laurence Mitchell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 07:47:15 PM »
Great advice from everyone.  Not knowing how experienced you are with RV's I suggest having it inspected by a professional.
https://nrvia.org/ I would also have the chassis part of the RV inspected by a diesel shop.

Mitch.
45' 2007 Marquis - Moonstone C15 Cat
2018-2020 40' 2000 Marquis - Tourmaline
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 11:29:00 PM »
Michael,
Be suspect of any repairs or service that were done.
I'm fairly certain that most owners don't go back to recheck the service or see the used parts that were replaced.
After owning three motorhomes and two trailers, I have had twice two separate shops dump ALL the oil into said device without checking dipstick..........true story!!!
why? "well you you gave it us so we thought it should all go in". and the other rear axle was drained and was never refilled except for about 10% of the correct amount. The trailer had incorrect rating tires for that size trailer.

To quote someone fairly famous "trust but verify".
Hope all goes well with your purchase and happy traveling.

Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 02:24:57 AM »
   Michael,
  If the seller has receipts for services rendered more than likely they are valid. Most shops would not be in business for very long if their motive was to screw folks. A Marquis is very high quality coach and most owners are very discerning who they let work on their coach. They take a lot of pride in the appearance and performance of their Motorhome.
  I personally had a following of over 300 luxury coach owners who trusted my experience and knowledge of quality coaches. I always saved all parts replaced and was proud to show my customer each and every repair or modification requested by him. Respectfully, Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 09:11:07 PM »
    Hi Michael and congratulations on finding your coach. Be sure to check the batteries.
    When I purchased mine I did not get any record of past services performed. So I had to start with serving systems all over the coach along all necessary repairs along the way. It’s always puzzling how I can park mine for a month or so and when I start using again something new need repair. That’s getting off subject. I started a separate log for service and repairs. I often find that I refer to it when ever I’m curious something on the coach. There are so many systems on our coaches that I can’t keep it in my head.
     When the coach goes to the next owner they have a reference for work th been performed.

'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 12:19:09 AM »
There are countless things I could suggest to a new owner, but with time limitations I’ll just add a few ideas I use that I think should be initial tasks.

Attend a Beaver Rally and/or an FMCA one where experienced club members will gladly give you first hand answers to your questions and some unsolicited answers as well;

If you aren’t full-timing, create two folders where you keep identical copies of your rig’s service records and add-on and accessory purchases.  Fuel purchase receipts are in there up front right behind the initial coach purchase info and factory standard and options added/device model # and serial numbers guide.   Also in there are biannual state registration receipts.  I keep one file at home and one in the coach, and try to remember to make the copy of a receipt each time (admittedly I too often have forgotten); 

In a separate carry-aboard 3-ring binder with see-through sleeves I also keep warranties and use instructions for the myriad accroutrements I’ve bought and have onboard, like flashlights, small appliances, special tools, navigation/altimeter/compass devices, wall clock, alarm clock, thermometers…. you know, things I might use infrequently and need reference for;

My memory isn’t getting better with age.  So in my garage at home I have 3 large white erase boards, one magnetic on the inside of the rear door that opens out to where Monty Rae is parked, and two on the inside of the pickup’s garage door - one for keeping track of my home yard endeavors and one that tracks the pickup, Explorer, and Beaver regular and major services and repairs.  The back door one is velcroed to the steel door, went up when the coach was new, and has the initial required services timelines BCS then gave me.  That was overkill… most of the listed services there never mileaged out and have faded or worn over the years.  Ad hoc notes pretty much took over instead.  But it’s still been useful as an easy reference to see what’s due, like exercising the generator and HydroHot, coach mileage when last parked, winterization/dewinterizing info, current battery main switch status, etc.  whatever strikes my fancy that I might not want to have to take time digging up out of files.  It’s magnetic aspect is handy for attaching temporary notes, documents, eraser/markers, and such.

Joel

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 12:24:10 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat