Author Topic: Leak near front Jack  (Read 6542 times)

Corey Osborne

Leak near front Jack
« on: August 18, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »
hello all,

I have small puddle of what appears to be oil leaking near my front jack on my 1998 beaver Contessa 40' Viano.  Any one got any suggestions of what it could be, I am thinking it must be related to my leveling jack system but not sure.  We do have the motorhome parked in a park and jacks are down, not sure if this is good or bad for the system we frequent the motorhome for the weekends every other weekend at minimum.

Thank you

Corey

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Leak near front Jack
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 04:45:41 PM »
There are only two lines going into your jack.

You should be able to look in the area and see if there is any fluid leaking from that jack.

I had a left rear jack leaking, but it was a big leak and fluid was almost running out after raising and lowering the coach.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:53:31 PM »
Is it red fluid - Dexron?  If it's red and the leak is under the jack, then it's likely the jack or the fitting where one of the two hoses is attached to the jack.  If it's red and the leak is near but apart from the jack, then it's likely a hole in one of the hoses.  In three years I have had to replace two different hoses in that area... probably closer to the pump and reservoir in my case though.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Les Brandt

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:08:31 PM »
If it's red, It will be Hydraulic fluid.

Likely coming from a bad seal on the jack or a hydraulic hose.

If it's a hose, that's a long one that will run from front to rear. It may be possible to have someone splice it.

If it's the Jack seal, it will require pulling the Jack, sending it to a hydraulic cylinder repair shop to be rebuilt and re-installed.

Corey Osborne

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 08:28:11 PM »
thanks everyone I will do further inspection in around the jack to view hoses, but it seemed to be black fluid and I did dab on finger but don't recall now what color it was.

Corey Osborne

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 05:38:57 PM »
does anyone have a schematic of this system or pictures where the reservoir tank is at?  since I am sure they are all different I have the JII system by RVA

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
My hydraulic pump and reservoir are located just up and behind the entry step... assuming the entry step is a fore curbside door and not a mid curbside door.  Raise the bags up and crawl under with the step down and out.  Or, some rigs have a removable entry step to access the pump and reservoir from above.  I may have the removable step, but have never looked to see if I have it.  I have been under there only twice in three years.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Grant Ralston

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 06:08:14 PM »
Corey, our 1998 Contessa has the pump/reservoir just rear of the battery compartment; visible from directly underneath and from the side over the batteries.

Grant Ralston

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 06:16:35 PM »
Corey, attached may help regarding wiring of your jack system.