Author Topic: Fuel/water filter  (Read 1439 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Fuel/water filter
« on: October 19, 2021, 09:36:32 PM »
I just had service done at a cat dealer they changed out my oil and filters. They also greased the chassis. All the filters were changed except they did not have the fuel/water separator Filter in stock. So I left with the old one still on and traveled 130 miles from our home. I have one on order from a local NAPA auto parts store, should be here tomorrow. How hard would this be change out myself? Does the new filter have to be filled with diesel before threading on the fuel line? There is a local truck shop nearby, should I just let them do it for $70 in labor?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
Re: Fuel/water filter
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 10:28:10 PM »
Fred, it is a good idea to learn how  to change your fuel filers yourself as you never know when you can get bad fuel and need to change them. Also a good idea to always carry a spare set of fuel filters. Cat reccomends to put on fuel filters dry and hand pump filters. On our rig I found this hard on the starter. Subsequently I try to fill the filters on the holes on the otter ring of the filters to ensure the fuel was filtered. .are sure you have the correct filter wrench for each filter
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Re: Fuel/water filter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 02:06:57 PM »
Thanks Bryan… good advice.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT