Author Topic: Body torquing?  (Read 6360 times)

Joel Weiss

Body torquing?
« on: August 09, 2011, 01:17:30 AM »
We parked at a site yesterday and I proceeded to dump the air as instructed by my owner's manual since we are going to be here for 2 weeks.  I then used the jacks to level the coach (all of this after having extended the slides).  I then went outside to retrieve our chairs and discovered I couldn't open any of the passenger side storage doors.  The site has a side slope but there had been no problem leveling the coach.  I then turned on the engine and let air pressure build up until it was practically back to normal operating levels.  Sure enough, the storage doors opened just fine.  I then re-leveled the coach with the air pressure up and everything is still Ok.  

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing?  I've had a single door act a bit sticky on occasion but never an entire side.  I assume the body had torqued slightly from the pressure of the jacks and the clearances on the door locks are tight enough to be affected by it.  

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Body torquing?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:06:11 AM »
I have, we have air leveling only but i have experienced problems opening / closing the doors when leveled. Everything has always worked fine again once in travel mode. I have wondered how much stress the frame can handle when this happens.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 04:31:00 AM »
It is common for a coach to torque or twist the frame when leveling. It is more common with hydraulic jacks than air leveling although both leveling methods will twist the frame to some extent. The twist that you can cause in a coach's frame when leveling is the number one reason that the slides should be extended before leveling.

Some coaches will twist enough to break the windshield, especially when using jacks. The key to how much twist that you will get when leveling is the terrain that the coach is setting on when you level it and the leveling method used (jacks are worse the air).

Gerald  

Butch Martin

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »
I also discovered that when you torque the coach like mentioned above, you can cause your slides to leak water to the interior.

Butch

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »
I have hydraulic jacks.  For what ever it is worth, I put the slides out, restart and level our coach with the engine at high idle.  I don't like it to squat.  I prefer it to remain at standard road height.   By doing it this way, the air is pumped into the bags about as fast as the hydraulic leveling system is trying to dump it out.  My theory is that the air system should be the primary support and the jacks can gently push it to a mostly level condition.  My theory is NOT backed up by anything from Beaver or Monaco.

There are four reasons I do it this way.  First is that it makes it easier to get to the bay doors under the kitchen slide.  I don't have "Joey Beds" and have to crawl under the slide to get to my stuff.  The second reason is that there have been times that the driver side living room slide has touched the dirt.  The Beaver is so low to the ground to start with that uneven ground can be a problem.  Third is that the sewer hose comes out at such a low point on mine that, if the coach squats much, the sewage has to flow up hill in many campsites-- and we all know how well that works.  Fourth is that with the bags full I don't have to wake the neighbors twiice with a growling Cummins on mornings with an early departure.  (If I had a Cat, the purr would be more pleasant!)

Regardless of how a I level it, if I hear creaking noises I will try something different.  Maybe some wood under a low wheel or a different campsite.  I haven't lost a windshield yet but I do have more than enough cracked tile.  And, the front door (that has never fit well) works better without any twist in the frame.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
I'm not certain that dumping air is essential before leveling.  I would think the main reason is to ensure the jacks have enough extension to level which may not be the case with the bags at ride height.  Beaver Coach wasn't too clear on that point but on the other hand, they never dumped the air during the demo phase.

I also wonder if the 3 point jacks may cause less torqueing of the frame than 4 point.  Just a guess but if the coach is level side to side first than all the front does is level fore and aft and would pivot laterally on that jack.  With 4 point I could see more potental for torquing.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 07:51:35 PM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis
I'm not certain that dumping air is essential before leveling.  I would think the main reason is to ensure the jacks have enough extension to level which may not be the case with the bags at ride height.  Beaver Coach wasn't too clear on that point but on the other hand, they never dumped the air during the demo phase.

I also wonder if the 3 point jacks may cause less torqueing of the frame than 4 point.  Just a guess but if the coach is level side to side first than all the front does is level fore and aft and would pivot laterally on that jack.  With 4 point I could see more potental for torquing.

On my coach, the air is dumped when you press a jack button -- whether you like it or not.  You don't have a choice.  Although I often use a plywood jack pad, the jacks are usually long enough.  

Where there are four jacks, the front two are normally plumbed together such that they can't twist the frame.  In other words, the two in the front will follow the back for side to side adjustments.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 03:57:09 AM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis

I agree that Beaver never made dumping air a requirement.  There is a statement to the effect that it reduces wear on the air bags if the coach will be parked for an "extended period" but there is no definition as to whether that is 2 weeks or 2 months.

I'm beginning to think that it is easier not to bother to dump the air beforehand.  I do get some air loss while parked if we are using it, but that seems to vary greatly from site to site.  I've had my air system looked at by several folks and no one thinks there is anything wrong with it.  I don't seem to get torquing problems if the air bleeds out on its own; the only problem sometimes is that my satellite TV dish will lose its signal.   I definitely do not like having the sewer line so low that it is difficult to run the hose as was noted by someone previously.