General Boards > Redecorating and Updating your Motorhome

Tile in lounge of '06 Monterey

(1/2) > >>

George Curry:
Just starting rehab project, of replacing carpet with ceramic tile in lounge and operator compartment of coach.  Have researched it extensively. But, would welcome any points of what to avoid, so I can not have to build them into my learning curve!  Not sure what I should / want to do with the stair well.  Leave as is or replace linoleum / carpet with tile / wood veneer????

Thoughts?
George

Keith Oliver:
Some PO did our steps with outdoor floor mat, the kind that has ridges and catches much of the stuff you don't want coming inside. At first I thought it wasn't classy enough to match the rest of the flooring, but now I like it a lot, as it helps reduce the labour of keeping the floor inside clean.  We also put down a portable mat below the outside step.  If you can always park where there is no dirt you won't need to do this.

Edward Buker:
George,

A few years back, I toured several motorhome factories in Oregon. The one that was producing Beavers (at that time).  I stopped and spoke with a production individual about tile adhesive/grout systems and what they used, and he said that they had a lot of problems with cracking tile and grout. They had replaced the whole system with new adhesives and grout specifically designed for RV installations and other installation cases needing to flex without cracking.

You could call Monaco, and see if they would share the product names that they use now.  Beyond that you may talk with the application engineers of the tile grout and adhesive manufacturers.  I'm sure you want adhesives that flex and offer some movement  and the grouts will probably use more latex additive in the system than is needed in home installs.

Any underlayment fastener that works itself up in time under a tile, can crack a tile, so being sure those are recessed and secure. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Jerry Carr:
I was told the same thing about the old system used at Beaver, but Ken at Bend told me the new stuff was Greeeeat!  If Monaco is not able to help, give Ken a call at Bend.

Donald Lucke:
We had Jim ? (the company in Bend that does aftermarket work---I don't recall his last name but someone will) tile the front and steps in our 03 Monterey.  That was about 6 years ago and it has held up just fine.  Materials were not special, just came from a local flooring store.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version