Author Topic: rear axle oil change.  (Read 1313 times)

Richard Good

• BAC Member
rear axle oil change.
« on: November 30, 2021, 02:14:47 AM »
Well, I changed the oil in my rear axle today. Not an easy access job. Pity Beaver didn't cut an access door in over the ride height valves and the rear axle/differential. There is room for a 2' x 2' inspection door! Removing the drain and filling plugs was easy enough. Right at 4 gallons came out and the level was at the height of the fill plug when I started. Examine the drain plug for metal adhered to the magnetic insert. Note to everyone though, especially if doing this job in winter, heat the oil up beforehand. I had a relatively small hand pump which I have used for other tasks which has always been easy to use. What a bear though, pumping 4 gallons of COLD( and I mean cold!), new gear oil in by hand under the coach. The job took me about 4 hours and boy, did my shoulders ache at the end. Doing this in the parking lot at the storage unit means you have to try and take everything you need in advance. 1/2 " battery impact wrench and 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar. Plenty of rags, funnel, drain pan or 2 depending on capacity, Magnetic led flashlights and some diesel fuel or paint thinner to wipe everything down with after. Some cardboard or a drop cloth to lay on, particularly if you are on gravel or dirt. Did I forget anything?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 02:29:49 AM by richard good »
98 Patriot Ticonderoga, CAT 3126, Blue Ox Towbar, 2023 Kia Forte GT manual.