Author Topic: Location of solar charge controller  (Read 1757 times)

Richard Good

• BAC Member
Location of solar charge controller
« on: November 15, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »
I have a charge controller in the engine bay for my 98 ticonderoga. I assume this is for the chassis batteries. The wiring diagrams which I have been able to access are generic for the 96 Patriot which show the house solar charge controller in a front cabinet. I am unable to find a controller in any cabinet or hidden area for the house battery charge controller. There are 2 15 amp fuses in the battery compartment. One for the chassis solar, one for the coach solar. I have not yet disconnected the wires on the engine bay charge controller to do a short circuit test to determine the power input. Anyone with any more specific info out there as to a location?
98 Patriot Ticonderoga, CAT 3126, Blue Ox Towbar, 2023 Kia Forte GT manual.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Location of solar charge controller
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 06:53:00 PM »
Here's a search link that explains a couple of places to look.  I believe our heliotrope solar charge controller is located in the waste tank bay, streetside, in front of the dual wheel axle.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,8634.msg59406.html#msg59406

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:32:34 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 02:00:55 AM »
Richard
I believe your 1998 coach is the same as the 1997 patriot I have it was originally built with three panels on the roof one small panel in the 10 to 20 watt range which was connected directly to the chassis batteries via a fuse to the chassis side of the boost solenoid on the isolator board under the bed not charge controller..
The other two panels where 40 watts each and where connected to a small charge controller located at the left end of isolator board and connected to the coach batteries via a fuse to the coach side of the boost solenoid.

The panel power runs down the back of the coach behind the rear cap in a black plastic split loom it  runs along the passenger side of the bed  to the isolator board there are three wires one white 10ga for the ground and two red 10 ga one for the chassis panel and one for the coach panels.

The fuses in the battery bay. Are the keep alive memories for the engine ECM and the transmission TCM..

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 02:19:55 AM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Richard Good

Richard Good

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 03:57:43 AM »
Eric Maclean, I do believe your coach is the same as mine in regards to that wiring. Thanks very much for the detailed response. I will have to hunt down the wiring and check the outputs. I replaced the original Amorphous panel some years ago with a polycrystaline PV panel(the small 10 watt panel). I will have to make sure I have the proper power output so I know it is all working OK. I know by the voltage that the house battery charger appears to be working. I just have to check the output for the chassis solar panel. It is amazing how many differences there are, even year to year.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »
Richard
When Beaver built these coaches the only reason they installed the solar panels was to maintain the batteries while the coaches were on the dealers lots .
The Cat engine ECM has a constant parasitic draw which will over a period of 4 or 5 weeks will deplete the chassis battery enough that it won't start the coach. The chassis solar panel was only intended to trickle charge the chassis batteries to avoid this battery depletion.
As the chassis panel was very small Beavers engineers chose not to use a charge controller this was ok with a low wattage panel but if you add a larger panel or panels for the chassis it is advisable that a controller be added.
The limiting factor for the coach panel wattage is the lead wires down off the roof because of volt drop the 10 ga should be up graded if the panels are up graded.

Your coach not likely has a battery combiner to allow the chassis batteries to charge when the coach is plugged in hence the chassis batteries will still go dead if left plugged in in storage.

Rather than worrying about the chassis panel I removed it and built a larger  coach panel set (600 watts ) and ran a new wire set off the roof down through the fridge cavity to the tank bay through a new charge controller and connected to the inverter cables which are connected directly to the coach batteries.
I also installed a battery combiner which connects both the chassis and coach battery banks together any time there is a charge voltage available for either bank this eliminates the need for the chassis solar  panel and ensure the chassis batteries get charged from the inverter , engine alternator and solar.
I used the Magnum stand alone battery combiner which allows you to set the cut in and cut out voltages.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Richard Good

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 01:10:37 AM »
Hi Eric, I installed a battery charger a couple of years back which runs off the inverter. It does a good job of keeping the chassis battery charged. I also installed isolation switches for both banks of batteries to reduce phantom losses. I replaced the old amorphous PV panel at the same time. It is 10 Watts. I have no voltage from the PV panel down at the fuse in the battery, though I have juice on the roof, so somewhere  there is a break in the positive wire. The House battery charge controller still seems to work fine and manages to mintain the batteries OK.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 02:51:08 AM »
Richard
I believe you will find two fuse holders beside the charge controller on the isolator board under the bed  one is for the coach panel set and the other is for the chassis panel.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
The following users thanked this post: Richard Good

Richard Good

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 05:58:20 AM »
Well my chassis solar panel works fine, but I must have a break in the wire between the roof and the battery compartment where the fuses for the chassis and house solar are located. The wire is only 16 AWG, so fairly small. If I cannot find the problem, I will have to run a new wire down to the battery bay. It looks like the shortest route will be down through the roof vent for the fridge, down behind the rear of the fridge,  into the storage area and across to the battery compartment.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 08:58:17 PM by Richard Good »