Author Topic: Inverter will not charge batteries  (Read 1945 times)

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
Inverter will not charge batteries
« on: December 12, 2021, 03:47:07 AM »
Have new AMG batteries that will not take a charge from the inverter. When the generator is on they will charge. Showing on the panel charging. When onshore power the inverter will not show on the panel that the batteries are charging and will not charge. Is there a reset setting that I need to check? Never had this problem before with wet cell batteries. 
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Inverter will not charge batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 01:58:07 PM »
     George,
The only common denominator to your issue is the transfer relay. Perhaps when on generator both legs of 120 volts are transferring thru the relay into the coach and when on shore power only one leg or none are letting 120 volts into the coach. A quick way to find out it turn on both air conditioners when on shore power and see if they work. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 03:18:30 PM »
There are two 30 amp plugs and I plugged into both with a split adapter going into my coach power cord. both ac will not run at the same time. I believe that that should allow for the shore power to be charging. It work before with wet cell batteries. Why the change?  unless the inverter does not recognize the new batteries.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 04:20:48 PM »
    Goerge,
Does your inverter/converter have 2 - 120volt circuit breakers at the coach circuit breaker box?  Are the 2- 30amp boxes that are combined for your 50amp plug on the same phase? (that may be why you can't run your air conditioners) A true 50amp service has 1 leg of power out of phase to the other leg. Suggest that you remove the cover at the coach circuit breaker box in the closet and check your incoming 120voltage at the 50amp breaker on generator and then again on your shore power. The inverter/charger doesn't discriminate between sources of incoming 120volt power. I can't quite understand why the inverter/converter would work on gen and not shore. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 05:44:23 PM »
George,

Are you sure you have good power coming into coach? Any problems with power cord, plug? I would be sure all is good with these things before jumping into inverter problems. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »
The batteries that do not charge when plugged into shore power include both the house and chassis battery banks?  Conversely, when on generator power, both battery banks will charge?  Also, what is your inverter/charger make and model?

From your explanation in the original post, I would agree with the common denominator to be the transfer switch is not switching properly.  I replaced our transfer switch this past summer.  But first, as suggested, make sure your coach is receiving good shore power from the shore power plug through the cords and their connections to the transfer switch.  For our 2002 to 2004 model year coaches, those transfer switches are becoming difficult to locate.  I managed to locate a new one but its cost was almost $400.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 12:53:52 AM »
I have a Mangum 2012 inverter. I am going to try a soft reset and then charge the batteries with the generator. I then will disconnect both house and chassis for a day and see if anything is draining the batteries. Thank you all for the help.
George
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks