Author Topic: Mice urine neutralizer suggestions ? Black tank area  (Read 1546 times)

Jeffrey Antonelli

• BAC Member
Mice urine neutralizer suggestions ? Black tank area
« on: December 03, 2021, 03:41:55 PM »
Hello mates,

I have begun tackling my wet bay restoration project, inspired by member Eric MacLean changing my water rotted panel and bottom sill with the drain and access hole. When I got the panel out I got my flashlight out and saw under the black  and grey tanks looked like rodent debris maybe from chewing? An odor was present I am guessing was from mice urine, and a dead mouse. It did not look like it was dead for a very long time.

I can’t reach into this space to clean it out perfectly as I’d like even if I wore a full hazmat suit. So I am wondering about spraying into this large area. Maybe with a 50-50 solution of bleach and water. There is no way I can tell for any mass of liquid to escape, so I am wondering what the most effective spray would be to use, that will dry and not hurt the plastic tanks, plywood cribbing I can see supporting the tanks, and anything else in there I cannot see.

When ai bough this RV, a 1996 Patriot, one year ago I saw several vey old dead mice in the regular part of the basement area. I cleaned the whole carpeting floor in there with my carpet cleaner upholstery attachment, using a solution of Folex, some bleach, and water. The results were satisfactory but I obviously cannot so this in the middle of the Coach where the black and grey tanks are!

Jeff Antonelli
1996 Patriot Yorktown

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Mice urine neutralizer suggestions ? Black tank area
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 08:42:33 PM »
I have used Febreze but I’m not sure which smell is worse, the original problem or the Febreze… it doesn’t dissipate.  Nowadays I use a small ozone unit.  Of course you need to remove any droppings and dead bodies first.  There are lots of models available, but I use and like the Airthereal MA5000.  It doesn’t take long in such small areas, and it is small enough to fit in most bays, and is simple to use.  If one use doesn’t quite do the job, just leave it in there longer a second time.  You just have to follow the manual’s safety advisories, but for a bay that’s relatively inconsequential.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 01:06:45 AM »
Jeffery,

I would get in there with a shop vac and push the hose around until I was satisfied that I had covered everything a couple of times.  I would then leave it open if possible for at least a week even putting a fan in the area.  If the smell doesn't dissipate then the 10% chlorox in water solution will kill most bacteria it contacts.  You will still need to keep it ventilated so the chlorine smell can escape. 

Lastly a ozone generator in the area will kill pretty much everything.  I run one in my coach a couple of times a year just to kill anything that might be trying to grow.  It seems to work since I don't have any offensive odors.
Hopefully this will be helpful.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 01:55:17 AM »
I second the ozone generator
I run mine once a month
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

John Fitzgerald

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 01:06:43 PM »
My dog and cats occasionally urinate on my floors and rugs so we use a standard pet urine remover.  I think it is made by Clorox, it appears to have hydrogen peroxide in it.  It does eliminate the odor.  The dog is older, so I buy the gallon size at our local wholesale club.

Ernie Christensen

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 06:30:20 PM »
I'm new to this MH gig, so I enjoy reading the forums to try to figure out problems.  Electronics seem to escape my comprehension capabilities!  Thanks to all who are on the forums.

Mice, urine, etc... I have also used all of the things already with good success.  All very good suggestions.

Another, off the wall way that may help is coffee grounds.  Spread them around wherever they will stay.  I had decent success when remodeling a nasty "cat house" .... the four legged kind.  Had to do it a few times....

John Fitzgerald

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 08:41:28 PM »
I have a very capable male Tabby, of course named Morris.  He is fond of tackling any small animal on the property, I have had no signs of mice in the motorhome.  This past summer he took out a large crow from a flock of three, the other two have not come back.  I was impressed.