Author Topic: Winegard Trav'ler  (Read 2130 times)

Brian Buchanan

• The Buchanan's Rolling Down the Road
  • BAC Member
    • The Buchanan's Rolling Down the Road
Winegard Trav'ler
« on: December 04, 2021, 12:01:54 AM »
Hello from sunny Arizona - my question today is simply this, has anyone taken apart the turret on a Winegard Trave'ler? I have an issue with our unit, not getting power to one of the three coaxial cables that power the LNBs, I have been speaking with Winegard and they will not service any unit older than five years old, their solution is just replace it, seems like overkill for a connection issue, so I'm going to take a go at repairing it myself, so I'm looking for a little guidance, if anyone has any.

Thanks
Laurie & Brian Buchanan
Full Timers
40’ 1998 Patriot 425 Thunder
425 hp C12 Cat
Tow 2007 Ford Sport-Trac

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Winegard Trav'ler
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 01:13:34 PM »
    Brian,
  I experienced a similar issue on my travelr  dish about 3 years ago. I too tried to trouble-shoot the issue and disassembled the turret assembly only to find that there were no issues with the coax connections and cabling. When I exhausted my ability to repair the issue, I ended up replacing the turret assembly. Perhaps you will have better fortune than me. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Brian Buchanan

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 12:10:57 AM »
I just threw away the winegard and obtained a Dish Tailgater!!  Problem solved, and inexpensive!!  And, it works!!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 02:10:31 AM »
The Tailgater will not work with the Hopper 3 true HD and more than one tv.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 02:02:22 PM »
  The reason why Lee is correct: a tailgator can only look at one satellite at a time. If you choose a channel that is on sat 129 for example, the tailgator moves to that satellite in about one second. That is why you can only record what is presently playing on the satellite in view. Tailgator is a good economical choice if only watching one tv and don't record programs. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 08:05:15 PM »
I switch our Traveler to Dish from Direct, ended up replacing the whole unit, Turret on up.

When I removed the old unit I found one of the Coax cables on the 'hinge arm' damaged from being caught in the hinge apparatus.  A fastener had failed that held the cable.

To change to Dish I had to change out the entire unit because of Traveler's age, it was too old to convert to Dish.
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 02:16:08 AM »
Fred, that is exactly why I like the tailgater!!   We watch only one channel at a time, do not have a dvr in the coach, do not use the bedroom TV, but boy do we have fast antenna!!   
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Fred Brooks