Author Topic: Kwikee Series 42 Step Slides in and Out Freely  (Read 1276 times)

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
Kwikee Series 42 Step Slides in and Out Freely
« on: January 05, 2022, 12:06:47 AM »
My 2006 Patriot Thunder Kwikee Series 42 steps began working sluggishly then intermittently then not at all. Narrowed the problem to gummed up slide rails from my bonehead use of Kwik Lube on the rails. I read the coach manual after the failure, it said specifically NOT to use Kwik Lube. Boy do I feel dumb, again. Got them cleaned up, rolling smoothly and steps and motor began to function but still intermittent. I applied gentle manual pressure on the lower step in both directions, the motor kicked in and steps extended and retracted smoothly for a few in and out operations then quit cooperating completely. Out of frustration and necessity applied not so gentle pressure to get the step in so could continue our journey. Now the steps are rolling in and out very smoothly but of their own accord. Had to bungee them in place to get back to base.

Any ideas of what my forced operation may have goofed up? I store the coach a ways from home. Your input may help me bring the right stuff to the job site.

Thanks

Gary
Gary Donges
Beaver Patriot Thunder Lexington IV 2006 40ft. (2017-    )
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Kwikee Series 42 Step Slides in and Out Freely
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 01:00:14 AM »
    Gary,
  The series 42 step uses 200 lb heavy duty drawer guides. They were never intended for exterior application. If you have cleaned them real good, you can use graphite or silecone spray. Your issue is in the mechanism. Could be worn teeth in the flywheel or just worn out. Replacement is about 1800.00 or just the mechanical part is 800.00. If it was me, I would remove the whole unit to work on it. Sorry for your situation. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Gary Donges

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 05:52:19 AM »
Thanks for the input. I like the idea to remove the assembly to diagnose and repair. While I was hanging around under the step assembly, the way to remove the assembly didn’t jump out at me, it’s dark and greasy under there. Any tips on dropping the assembly?

Thanks again

Gary
Gary Donges
Beaver Patriot Thunder Lexington IV 2006 40ft. (2017-    )
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 01:23:14 PM »
     Gary,
As I recall, you can remove the sheet metal housing that encloses the mechanical parts. You will see where it is attached to the step well. You may need some means of support as it is awkward and heavy. The electrical plug is a square 4 pin rubber connector. The green 10 gage ground wire goes to the frame with a star washer. Pro Tip: If the issue is the flywheel teeth, you can take that unit to an expert welder and have him fabricate new teeth. This works well if done correctly and saves a bunch of money. Read the article in "Coach Assist" by Steve Huber and me about steps and motors. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Gary Donges

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 01:26:46 PM »
   Sorry, I meant under technical support then "common problems"