Author Topic: Generator No Start  (Read 1487 times)

Jerry Pattison

Generator No Start
« on: January 28, 2022, 09:50:22 PM »
I went to the coach (1998 Marquis, C-12, 10KW gen) in storage today for the first time in perhaps 6 weeks, maybe more.   (Health and medical insurance issues prevented my from going sooner).  My intent was to run the generator to charge the house batteries.  I always turn the main battery switches to off when I put it into storage.  On arrival today, I turned the switches to ON and primed the generator for about 1 1/2 minutes.  I noticed that I could not hear the fuel pump priming the generator.  Tried to start the generator, nothing.  I held the battery combine switch, still nothing.  I went outside and tried to start it with the switch on the generator, still nothing.  I was able to start the coach engine just fine.  Seems that there is no 12 volts to the generator.  I was not dressed appropriately to climb underneath to check the incoming voltage to the generator, but will do that tomorrow when I have more daylight available.  Meanwhile, perhaps someone on the forum can tell me if there is a relay or something else that provides the 12 volts to the generator??  Thanks in advance for your help!!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Generator No Start
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 10:43:28 PM »
   Jerry,
How cold was it out side and how long did you hold the start button down?
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 12:07:16 AM »
Fred, the temp was about 50 F, held the  start button for about 5 or 10 seconds.  Hard to judge that after the fact.

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 12:11:59 AM »
Tomorrow I am going to crawl underneath and see if some low life cut out the 12 V cables for the copper in them.. >:(

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 12:26:10 AM »
   Jerry,
Sometimes folks forget when it is cold outside, there is a delay before the starter will engage. Did you try the battery boost button? Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 12:32:21 AM »
Yes, Fred, I did use the battery boost button.  Tomorrow I will know if I held the start button long enough.  Let us hope so!!  Blessings.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 12:34:28 AM »
Fred, you are a wealth of knowledge....and, you are appreciated!!  The generator started today!!   I did need to hold the start button for about 30 seconds, Perhaps more (in hindsight, I wish I had timed it) but it did start.  I ran it for about 2 hours to bring the batteries back  up.  Thanks so much for your input!!
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks