Author Topic: Three Questions  (Read 1447 times)

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
Three Questions
« on: February 02, 2022, 02:54:59 PM »
1. When I turn on my thermostat in the rear both electric and diesel heat is supplied to the bedroom and bath. When I turn on the front thermostat only air comes on the kitchen and front driver area, not heat. Yes, I turn the thermostat to the furnace and set the temp up.
When I plug into shore power the hot water heater dose not keep warm, as i travel the water get hot. I beleive these issure are related.

2. Tire time- I running Firestone F5 561  12R 22.5  The fill up the tire well . Should I stay with that size or go back to the orignial size. The coach runs and handle great. Any suggestion on tires size for the best ride and not to have any issue. Will put Konia shock on with new tires.

3. The insta hot on the sink, just tried to use it for the wife hot tea and the lever dosen seem to want to move.  Do I pull foward or push back to make it work. I seem stiff and i do not want to break it by using force.

Thanks Beaver Nation.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Three Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 03:25:35 PM »
1. Heat in zone 3 but no heat in zone 1 - probably means the zone 1 Aquahot pump is not pushing the heated coolant through the zone 1 hoses.  Tap on the pumps to shake the internals loose so they will spin.

The electric heating element does not produce as much heat as the diesel burner but it should supply enough heat for showers and/or washing dishes.  The electric heating element simply cannot keep the water hot for continuous use.  Our electric heating element will supply enough heated water for two showers - barely.

If your coach has the engine preheat function associated with the Aquahot, then while traveling the engine coolant will be pushed through the Aquahot allowing the coach faucets, shower, etc., to have heated water.  That heated coolant from the engine also supplies heat to your dash heater/window defrost.  Thus, when plugged in your electric element is heating water but when traveling your engine is supplying heat for heating water - two different heat sources.  We had to replace our electric element as it got too old to function properly.

2. Tires - I do not know your tires but I will say we have 315/80R22.5 tires on our steering axle with no clearance problem.

3. Our insta-hot stopped working after a few years from purchasing the coach in 2012.  We didn't use it much so I never fixed it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 04:43:16 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 03:33:41 PM »
George,
Sounds like the stir pump for the front zone is stuck. Sometimes a few taps on it will get it working. Set furnace to run so fan is blowing. Open cover on AQH and tap the stir pump(s) You'll hear it start and feel warmth on the output hose.  When you are running the engine the AQH is using the engine coolant and not the internal fluid relying on the pumps.

Tire wise, if the current tires are giving you good service and, most importantly are the correct load range with a bit of margin, you are probably OK.

Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 12:06:05 AM »
George
3) An instahot can get corroded inside.  If the handle is stuck due to corrosion then I bet the tank is bad too.  I have jiggled the handle a bit and gotten the flow going. 
2). I like Toyo vs more expensive.  I have been told the 12R is a truck tire designed for high use but not long term that a MH might see (5 or 6 years). The sidewalls don’t hold up as well.  Our last coach had 12R Toyo and were starting to crack at 6 years.
1). If your AH has the original pumps the pump gets replaced with a new design.  It requires draining the system so 16 gallons of new boiler fluid and new pumps and new hoses.  We have the AHE100 04S too and just did this.  Look me up in the club directory and call or email we can talk about check valves and thermostats too.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!