Author Topic: Mold under mattress  (Read 1403 times)

Jason Worman

Mold under mattress
« on: February 11, 2022, 02:53:19 AM »
Hi All,

It's been awhile since my last post. So we went to spin mattress around and discovered quite a bit of mold on the Mattress as we well as the wooden platform it sits on that raises up over the engine compartment. Does anyone use some kind of RV low profile mattress support that allows air to flow underneath or have good recommendations for a mattress. Our current (and soon to be junked mattress) is a Casper brand. Our bed platform is the RV queen size. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get air underneath it?

Jason Worman

Keith Phillips

Re: Mold under mattress
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 01:31:15 PM »
It must have something to do with the synthetic material the mattress is made of. Our son used our Motorhome for a few months and put a Casper mattress in it and did the same thing our regular mattress didn’t mold in years before or after. It was a lot of work to get the mold out of the plywood and then we painted it to seal it.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 02:21:11 PM »
A search on the internet showed some products called Den-Dry and Hypervent.  These are about 3/4 inch thick and appear to be a woven fiberglass mat on the bottom side of a solid sheet of fiberglass that the mattress would lay upon.  The idea is the woven fiberglass mat allows air to circulate just above the plywood bed stand.  Mold will grow in the presence of moisture and any organic material.  Plywood is obviously organic while mattresses may or may not be organic, so first, get a mattress that is not made from organic materials.  Another idea is to paint or varnish the plywood bed stand to keep moisture off its upper surface.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jason Worman

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 05:33:53 PM »
Good morning

Thank you both for your suggestions, we tossed out the Casper mattress, bought some mold fungicide and mold killing Kilz. Cleaned and treated mold, painted with Kilz and ordered Den-Dry mat. Great to be Parr of the forum.

Warmly

Jason Worman