General Boards > Sources for Suppliers, Parts and Maintenance Materials

Replacement roof AC

(1/3) > >>

Joe DeWeese:
I own an ‘06 Monterey Laguna iV.  My front roof AC is slowly dying.  I’m looking for a replacement.  Based on the info label inside it is a Dometic Duo-Therm 630516.  However, it appears that model is no longer made.  I contacted Dometic looking for a replacement part number.  The customer support rep. sent me a Model #651816.  However this appears to be a heat pump/air conditioner.  The customer support said that this is the replacement model.  I don’t need or want a heat pump, just an AC.  Is here another AC part that would be a direct replacement for my current model?
Thanks, Joe D.

Bill Lampkin:
Joe, the heat pump is just an A/C running in reverse; other than one valve, there is no difference betwixt the two units. Go with the heat pump unit, you do not have to use the heat pump feature, it will work as AC only just fine.

Bryan Beamon:
Joe, you probably know this but as a reminder you will need to order an adapter for your thermostat if you have the 5 button thermostat for it to function with your new AC.

Joe DeWeese:
Hi Bryan,
     No I did’t know that.  I assumed that since I was told by a Dometic customer support rep that this new Dometic (Model 651816) is a direct replacement for my current one (Model 630516) replacement would only require the AC unit and a new gasket. 
     Thanks for the heads up.
Joe D

Joel Ashley:
We have the original Duo-therm roof units too and one’s AC is gone.  If lucky, all it may need is a start capacitor, so think about having a trustworthy tech check that possibility before spending on a whole new unit;  there are YouTube videos that describe checking it yourself.   And, yes, a model change requires a thermostat adapter.  There’s been much angst expressed in forums about that and incorrect or negligent tech work regarding it.  It’s one place, since absorbing Duo-Therm, that Dometic hasn’t necessarily helped replacements be easy.

Unfortunately, the units’ shells are now so brittle that they crumble during removal to access the roof parts.  Replacement shells are ~$136 but are touted to be of better materials than were used in 2006. 

Regarding the heat pump aspect, ours both have that feature and we’ve found them useful.  When watching TV in either the bedroom or the living area, the hydronics system’s heat exchangers are annoyingly loud.  By running roof heat in the opposite end of the rig instead, and aiming the roof ports appropriately, interfering heating noise is effectively limited.  Of course the limitation is that heat pumps don’t work in outside ambient temps much below 40F.  I’d rather have the option than not, and the thermostat should already be set up for it if techs are well versed in the update parameters.

Joel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version