Author Topic: Can't start coach from key  (Read 5103 times)

Roger Davis

Can't start coach from key
« on: February 18, 2022, 06:51:43 PM »
Hello all. I am new to the forum and just learning how to navigate the site so please bear with me.
I went to exercise my main engine and generator when I realized I could not start the main engine from the key. While attempting to start, I happened
to notice the transmission shift pad indicator light which would normally show an "N" which was there for a moment and then flickered for about 10 seconds
and went out permanently. I am able to turn the key to the run position and start the coach from the remote start/stop buttons in the back bay and can turn the coach off with the key. It will not shift as there appears to be no power to the shift pad. I pulled the key switch down to test for voltage on all positions
corresponding to the key and is working as it should. I have found an old thread on this subject but it appears my situation is slightly different. I might add
I checked the solenoid in the electrical bay and would have jumped it however it appears to be functioning fine. I'm betting it's a relay somewhere so I'm
asking for some guidance. Thanks to all.

2001 Beaver Patriot 40' 3126B 330HP

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Can't start coach from key
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 08:48:14 PM »
Roger,
From your description sounds like you are not getting ignition power to the shift panel. Since you said the panel flickered before losing power I suspect a bad connection. There is a fuse for the panel that I think is buried in the console that the panel is mounted in. It may have a corroded or loose connection. If wiring is same as an 02, power comes into the panel from C43, pin 1. See Coach Assist (BAC Web site) for the wiring diagrams.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 10:52:05 PM »
    Roger,
Go ahead and jump the solenoid in the front run compartment. I have seen where they have continuity but won't transfer amperage under a load. Please advise, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 01:26:10 AM »
Roger
When all else fails there is a service troubleshooting manual for the Allison automatic which will give you better insight into the system and how to track down your particular problem.
It is in the coach assist library

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 02:07:54 AM »
Roger
The first place to look is in the battery compartment you should find two inline fuse holders one is ECM power for the engine
And the other is for the TCM ( transmission control module) direct power these 10 amp fuse holders are usually tied to the bundle of battery cables behind the battery tray and batteries .
It's not uncommon for this fuse holder and fuse to corrode from exposure to battery gasses.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Roger Davis

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 03:59:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for responding. I'll spend today going through all your suggestions starting with the two fuses in the battery compartment. In my life, it's never
that simple but maybe I'm due a break. I'll post my findings along with any new questions and again, thanks for the help.
Roger

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 11:00:11 PM »
Roger
Had a similar problem on a similar coach a year or so ago.  Fella had spent a ton of money pulling the Allison control module and tracking wiring.
Solution was a new solenoid in the front run bay.  Check for good contact on the two small posts.  If you have the type with the resistor across the two posts it could be bad but when you do replace this solenoid be sure to get the exact one. 
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Roger Davis

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 01:06:42 AM »
Okay, after working on all the things you guys and I could think of, I'm no closer to a solution than when I started. Here is what I do know. The solenoid
in the electrical bay is working perfectly. While in the elec. bay I opened the black Allison relay box and checked both fuses and checked for 12 volts on said fuses with ignition on. All good. There are no fuses in the cavity under the shift pad and as I mentioned the black Allison box is down in the electrical bay.
I should also mention while in the electrical bay and with the key on, I checked everything except the relays for 12 volts and all good.
Back in the battery bay I checked everything with a fuse including the relay tray and all fuses were good. In hind sight I probably should have checked for voltage as well. As Steve suggested C43 pin 1, many of the writing on the connectors has rubbed off so I can't identify C43. Maybe you could describe it another way. There are older threads of similar problems but they fixed theirs. However I read something regarding a solenoid similar to the one in the electrical bay that's way behind the batteries and almost impossible to get to. With the key on I checked for voltage but either solenoid is not working or wasn't actuated since I don't know what it goes to. Maybe one of you will know. If C43 is the coupling to the shift pad that is my next thing I will be checking
directly at the pad as it is still dark. I suspect I could HOT wire a lead from the ignition to the pad with a fuse but I think I'll save that for a last resort.
I eagerly await your next suggestions. And once again, thank you all!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 01:27:11 AM »
    Roger,
The solenoid you are questioning behind the batteries is the "trigger" solenoid that activates the starter solenoid on the starter. It is activated only in the "start" position. It is not what you are looking for. I would look for the main plug coming from the transmission near the frame rail. Look for corrosion inside at the pins. What is the chassis battery voltage at the batteries? what is the voltage at the transmission ECM? Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Roger Davis

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 06:05:03 AM »
Fred, just so I'm sure I understand. Where is the plug located on the coach that you want me to address. Please be specific and I will perform all that you
say but this is my first time addressing this system on the RV so I need you to talk me in please.
Roger

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 01:37:45 PM »
Roger
To get shifter operation you require battery power and ignition power and grounds to the transmission ECM
It's time to check at the ECM for the presence of these .
In the coach assist library document Allison troubleshooting manual on page 761 you will find a wiring diagram for the 3000 and 4000 series ECM.
His should help you identify which pins to check

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Roger Davis

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 05:01:10 PM »
Eric,
Is this the metal box in the left of driver cavity under the shift pad or somewhere else. If somewhere else, where please?
Also do I test this with key ignition power on or off?

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 07:21:29 PM »
Yes I believe so a picture would help
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Roger Davis

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 08:56:49 PM »
this one?

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 09:20:34 PM »
Hard to tell from the picture but ya that should be it.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR