Author Topic: Bedroom slide brake won't let go  (Read 1599 times)

Norm Vernon

• BAC Member
Bedroom slide brake won't let go
« on: October 15, 2022, 09:46:37 AM »
My latest issue to fix is my randomly not working bedroom slide. The electric brake would randomly stop working - wire connections are all ok but the unit has seen better days. So I buy new replacement motor gearbox brake set up from etrailer thinking fairly simple to swap. After switching the main shaft between new and old so I could use the keyed shaft of the old unit the install went smooth. Hit the button same thing happens - motor tries to work but brake is not releasing. So I take the brake off and motor works but also the brake releases like it should. If I put the brake back on the assembly it wont work ??? there are 2 grounds to the slide framework that are freshly clean - so not the issue. If I run power and ground from a jump pack to either main black or red wire the brake works and motor spins. Connections at the wall switch are all nice and clean. Not sure what to try next - electrical is not my bag of tricks.
2004 43' Marquis
C12

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Bedroom slide brake won't let go
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 01:59:26 PM »
Norm,
I had a similar issue with my 01 Contessa. Checking and cleaning the grounds didn't solve it. The problem was wire size. On mine they used a plug /pigtail to connect the wall switch to the wires going to the slide motor and brake. The pigtail was 14awg but the wires to the motor were 12awg (if I remember correctly). Removing the pigtail and connecting the motor/brake wires directly to the switch solved the problem.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Norm Vernon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 02:32:31 AM »
Seems really strange that the brake works if its not bolted to the motor (hooked up the same way) but as soon as you put it in place it wont work  - even if just held in place no bolts.
2004 43' Marquis
C12

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 10:50:22 PM »
Norm
I'd be giving those wires the old stretch test it sounds like you man have a bad wire or connection that drops out when you get the brake into position .
I'd take Steve's advice and try a seperate set of power feed wires first to see what happens.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Norm Vernon

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
I did use my jump pack to power it and everything worked fine - so either power or ground or both are not quite cutting it. I need to buy a multi meter and see what I can come up with.
2004 43' Marquis
C12

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 02:08:05 PM »
Norm
It would be interesting to see what the voltage drops to under load is with Thoth the brake and motor powered up you will likely discover that the load of both together will drop the voltage low enough that the brake will not disengage and of course if the motor is stalled against the brake that voltage will be even lower.
You may have to go with heavier wire or maybe even come up with someway to delay the motor operation until the brake has disengaged.
But I would start by running a new heavier wire from the switch to the brake.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Norm Vernon