Author Topic: Hub Torque Procedure  (Read 1477 times)

Jordan Calhoun

Hub Torque Procedure
« on: October 19, 2022, 03:05:28 AM »
Hey all,
I have a 1999 Beaver PT.

I am rounding up everything to do a full brake job on my coach.

I am looking for the hub bearing pre-load procedure on the front and rear hubs and torque specs for the outer axle nuts.

I am rounding up all of the parts that I need for a complete brake job. So far I have crossed all castings off front calipers/rotors and rear calipers.

I am in need of part numbers for rear abs rotors, and front and rear hub seals. I am trying not to double post the question in tech support and in parts.

Thanks a bunch. 😉

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Hub Torque Procedure
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 09:43:12 PM »
I’m sorry that apparently no one here can supply the information you’re looking for, Jordan.   It’s not something more than a few here tackle on their own.  You might refer to this old thread for some insight, but it won’t help much procedurally.  BCS Parts dept. in Bend may have part numbers, but courtesy would entail ordering from them and prices won’t be the lowest.  Sean in BCS Service may help also.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php?topic=5224.0

Also this thread;  be aware that Ken Carpenter, mentioned in it, has since passed away and is much missed.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php?topic=4190.0

Hopefully one of the mechanics here will yet chime in with technical advice.

BCS  Phone: (844) 243-3725

Joel
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 09:51:32 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 11:10:55 PM »
Jordan
I don't have numbers for the abs rotors but most of the parts I've mentioned in this previous post should work for yours.

https://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,11378.msg76752.html#msg76752

Most of the parts used on these Magnum chassis where originally  made by Daton corporation.
The parts are common to many medium duty trucks by manufacturers like freightliner and international of the era.
You should be able to get a good truck parts suppliers to identify and source the needed parts unfortunately you may have to remove them first to get the numbers of them.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Jordan Calhoun

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 03:01:54 AM »
Thanks for the help. I called meritor and they were nice enough to hook me up with an axle service manual and parts manual so I have that covered.

Still trying to verify that rear rotors are the same as fronts.

And trying to find #'s for front hub wet seals and stemco caps.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 03:22:31 AM »
The front and rear rotors are different because of the way they mount the rears are
 are what they call a top hat design .

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 01:11:07 PM »
Jordan
The rear rotors on your coach are what they can top hat or U shape
The link below go to the PDF4pro link for Dayton rotors and on page 29 you will find a chart that gives you Meritor part numbers based on the dimensions of the rotor ,offset etc. In this chart you are looking for the type 2 rotors for the rear but you will have to remove your old ones to get all the measurements and make sure to spec the new rotor for ABS.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dayton+medium+duty+rotors+listed+by+size&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.35i39i362l15.-1j0j8&client=tablet-android-lenovo-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Jordan
Front hub wet seal is    Stemco #383-0136
Front litter hub cover is Stemco#343-4024

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 01:19:18 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Jordan Calhoun

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 02:02:15 PM »
I can just pull off a set of rear wheels and cross the casting number off the rotor, I was just trying to order everything before I started to take stuff apart. I was confused because that coach talk brake sheet for 1996-2002 said the front and rear were the same.

Thanks for the seal and cap #. I am confused about the stemco caps, the ones that are currently on the coach are a 4009. But it says that the dimensions are the same as the one you listed.

I am not sure what the first 3 numbers represent in the stemco part number. For instance there is a 340-4009 and a 343-4009 and so on but they all seem to have the same flange and hole dimensions.

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 11:30:24 PM »
Jordan
The differences in the Stemco caps will be whether they have a drain plug or not.  You definitely want the one with the drain plug, much more convenient.  The 343-4009 has a drain plug on the side, the 340-4009 does not.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley