Author Topic: Aladdin woes  (Read 1425 times)

Jim Simonet

Aladdin woes
« on: March 10, 2022, 09:34:24 PM »
Hi Everyone,
My display for the Aladdin at the dash stopped working on me 2 days before my trip to AZ.  I saw it flicker, then it faint, then no display.  I could sometimes get the display by messing with the screen but not with any real success.

At this point, I was thinking it was the Kenmore display and I had another Beaver owner say that he had to replace with a 7" display off of Amazon.  I purchased that display, a longer RCA to stereo jack cable and connected it to the RCA cables going to the old display.  I didn't get any output at all.

Then, I connected the RCA with the short RCA jack that came with the monitor and I had a display!

The cable was super short, but I thought I could make it work at least for the drive so I could see engine data.  I unplugged and arranged power and the like and hooked it back up - no display.

Next I located the AV out on the Aladdin unit itself - re-seated the RCA jack.  Still no joy.

I think my last thing to try before I give up on it is to buy a RCA male to male cable and bypass the existing cable.  I can't tell if the cable going from AV out on the Aladdin box is a male to male, or if there is another cable connection connected in between.

Is there anything else I can do to test if its the Aladdin itself, a bad display, or a bad cable?

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
Re: Aladdin woes
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 08:55:18 PM »
Jim,

If your coach entertainment systems have been upgraded this may no longer work, but as originally configured, you should be able to view the Aladdin information on one of the TVs. This could tell you whether or not your Aladdin Video Controller (VCM) is working.

I’m able to view the Aladdin information on either TV by using the TV remote to select the proper video input.  I looked in 2004 owner’s manual and looks like your entertainment system configuration is very different than ours, it appears that there are a couple more steps required to view the Aladdin information on the TV.

“I can't tell if the cable going from AV out on the Aladdin box is a male to male, or if there is another cable connection connected in between.”

The Aladdin A/V output cable is probably male to male, there certainly could be an adaptor and extension in the mix.

You could remove the original cabling from the equation by temporarily connecting your new monitor directly to one of the A/V outputs on the VCM.

Don’t know if any of this helps. Good luck and post back any results.

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Jim Simonet

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 09:36:09 PM »
Scott,

I ran a new cable to the monitor I purchased directly from the Aladdin (located in the cabinet above the drivers side) and it displayed my Aladdin data - so that is good news. 

My problem is now running a new cable to the dash.  I can follow it from the screen over to the left of the drivers side before I lose it.  The cable that runs from the Aladdin box, goes up into the ceiling.

I'll dig into it further this weekend.

Thanks!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 10:31:13 PM »
     Jim,
I believe you can remove the cover to the "A" pillar next to the windshield and run from the overhead down to the dashboard. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6