Author Topic: no power  (Read 1501 times)

Mark Hoovler

• BAC Member
no power
« on: April 01, 2022, 06:27:38 PM »
We purchased a 2006 Monterey Laguna 4 last October.  Brought it home and winterized it and put it away for the winter.  I plugged it in the other day to get ready to de-winterize and I get no power to anything.  Turned the main switches on in the back battery compartment, and still nothing.
 :(. Unfortunately the coach did not come with any manuals.  Anyone have an idea where to start checking?
Thanks. Mark
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 hp
2020 F-150

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: no power
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 07:01:29 PM »
If you did not have the coach plugged in so that the batteries were kept charged while the coach was in storage, then you may (probably) have to replace all the batteries as a start toward solving the problems.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Mark Hoovler

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 08:58:13 PM »
I’m afraid David may be right, especially if you didn’t leave it plugged in all winter and it wasn’t where sunlight could get to its solar panel.  You don’t explain whether “no power to anything” means 120 volt also.  Even with battery mains off, an entire winter of parasite drainage and not even solar input can take 12v systems down.  Even deep cycle house batteries can be damaged if drained entirely and left that way.  Are you sure you have AC where you plug into the outlet?  Is the outlet 50 amp, 30 amp, or 15/20 amp? 

First, if they are 6 volt batteries, use a voltmeter with the black lead on one house battery in the back of the tray’s negative post and the red lead on the positive post of a front battery.  Ideally they should read around 12.8 volts with the coach not plugged in to a 120v outlet.  At 12 volts they are half discharged and that’s not good.  Anything lower than that… well, let us know.  It would be nice to know how old the house set are as well as the two chassis ones.  Your two chassis batteries should be 12v each, not 6v each like the four house ones;  so they aren’t connected in series and can be measured individually, not as in two’s like the house ones - we hope to see 12.5 to 12.8v on each of the chassis batteries. 

Even if the chassis batteries are up, you need to get the house set charged up before starting the engine, because it’s a typical mistake many make when “dry camping” where the poor engine alternator is overworked trying to recharge deeply depleted house batteries.  An overheated 160 amp alternator is subject to failure and expensive to replace.  So make sure you charge the house set first using the generator or a portable charger before starting the engine.

Please advise us as to which power is not working, 12v or 120v, or both.  Voltage at batteries?  At the AC outlet?  We really need more info to help.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:03:22 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Mark Hoovler

Mark Hoovler

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 09:22:19 PM »
If the batteries are disconnected while in storage how can that drain them.  I will check further this weekend and let you guys know what I found.  Than you for the input.  Keep you posted
Mark
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 hp
2020 F-150

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 09:45:47 PM »
There can be parasitic drains even with the main switch off;  some devices like sensors can bypass the Main.  They may be relatively minuscule in the short term, but since October it adds up.  Even batteries totally disconnected at their posts will naturally lose something just sitting;  the end result by Spring depends on their age and initial state of charge.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mark Hoovler

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 10:07:07 PM »
 ;)That was it.  Ran a battery charger on it over night and all is well in our Beaver land for now. 
Thanks for the support
See you down the road
Mark
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 hp
2020 F-150