Author Topic: stranded in Idaho Falls, ID  (Read 3158 times)

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: stranded in Idaho Falls, ID
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 01:14:49 AM »
Rick, the spline coupling that the hydraulic pump shaft slides into is not lubricant area other than the
Technician lubing shaft when mounting hydraulic pump. Unless you can see the bearing on the female
coupling more than likely you may get lucky. We preform this service when we do motorhome inspections and is a very important area of concern than not addressed until failure happened such
as your case.

Moving the motorhome back to your home is a very excellent call on this problem. Again as I indicated
on my first post ( there will be labor involved of which you will be in complete control of.) feel free
to contact me if you need technical advice. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jerry Carr, Rick Daniels, Eric Maclean, Patrick Barczewski

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2022, 02:54:52 PM »
Thanks Steve Huber.  The  mud flap is destroyed just putting it on the trailer when taken off the freeway. Thanks Dave Atherton I am starting to feel better about potential engine damage.  The coach is being towed home tomorrow.  At least that's the current plan.
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Carr

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 09:59:05 PM »
I think that’s the smart choice, Rick.  Then if there’s an issue after a local-to-your-home shop does the work, warranty repairs will be nearby and likely much more convenient.

Sorry about the mud flap.  I have to unshackle ours just to get in and out of the sidewalk dip in our driveway.  After initial damage in 2007-8, I managed to pound out some of its dents, restraighten it, and POR-15 dings exposed to rusting.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Ron Davis

• BAC Member
  • Ron and Noah, Parrot Pets Marley and Tika,
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2022, 06:42:40 PM »
Thanks Steve Huber.  The  mud flap is destroyed just putting it on the trailer when taken off the freeway. Thanks Dave Atherton I am starting to feel better about potential engine damage.  The coach is being towed home tomorrow.  At least that's the current plan.

How has this situation turned out.  Guessing your Hydraulic adapter for your pump is much different than mine, but am still curious as your journey on this repair is similar to mine in ways.

Good luck in all of it
1996 Beaver Patriot Trenton
CAT3126 Allison 6sp 3000
Magnum B Chassis
Flat Towing a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2022, 09:36:31 PM »
I concluded that seeking repair in Idaho Falls was not only cost prohibitive but logistically impractical.  Camping out in the RV Repair facility parking lot for multiple weeks while the rest of my life was on hold was out of the question.  Initial bids to tow it to my property in Montana ranged from $3600 to over $4000.  At the recommendation of Adam at Eagle Rock RV and Service center in Idaho Falls I contacted Dan at B&B Auto Body in Mud Lake, Idaho.  Dan towed my coach home for $1400.00.  Now parked on my property with full hook-up, I am still searching for a reasonable, available and qualified repair facility to repair or replace the hydraulic pump.I highly recommend Eagle Rock RV even though they were not able to complete the repair.  I also highly recommend B&B Auto Body.  Not only was the price reasonable but Dan did everything right and took special care to protect the coach.  Preliminary inquiries in the Bozeman Montana area estimate repairs at half the price of the estimates in Idaho Falls.  One mechanic has told me he might even be able to repair it on site without an additional tow bill and he does not believe the rear bumper needs to be cut off to gain necessary access.  Hope he is right.  Good Sam roadside assistance covered the cost of the tow to Idaho Falls and the rest, so far, has cost $2700.00 which includes a rental car, towing home, diagnostics at Eagle Rock RV and extra blood pressure medication.  For now, all is well
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Jerry Carr