Author Topic: Electric fan noise  (Read 1907 times)

Steve Misemer

• BAC Member
Electric fan noise
« on: May 14, 2022, 02:22:02 AM »
Is it normal to have an electrical fan noise coming from the front of the coach? It only stops when I turn off the coach power switch.
2006 Marquis Jade Copper Marsh
44'
Cat C 13 525hp
Steve Misemer

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Electric fan noise
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 02:57:59 AM »
Steve,
It's probably the overhead fan above the windshield. There is a round knob on the lower section of the dash that controls it.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 04:08:16 AM »
Your electric fan noise may be the small electric vacuum pump that provides vacuum to operate the HVAC doors and flappers.  If you have hose leaks in any of those vacuum hoses, the pump will not be able to build vacuum and will run all the time.  The small pump is usually attached to the firewall accessible from the generator area.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Steve Misemer

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 04:44:52 PM »
Steve,
It's probably the overhead fan above the windshield. There is a round knob on the lower section of the dash that controls it.
Steve

Hi Steve,
I found the switch you mentioned. Unfortunately it's not that one. I did narrow the sound down. It sounds like it's just inside the passenger front tire.

Thank you
Steve
44'
Cat C 13 525hp
Steve Misemer

Steve Misemer

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 04:50:04 PM »
Your electric fan noise may be the small electric vacuum pump that provides vacuum to operate the HVAC doors and flappers.  If you have hose leaks in any of those vacuum hoses, the pump will not be able to build vacuum and will run all the time.  The small pump is usually attached to the firewall accessible from the generator area.
Richard

Richard I narrowed the sound down to behind or inside the passenger front tire area. Does that help narrow down what you thinkbit may be?
Is there a fuse name for this pump? So I can remove it and see if that helps.

2006 Beaver Marquis
Thank you
Steve
44'
Cat C 13 525hp
Steve Misemer

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 05:42:51 PM »
Steve,
It sounds like it may be the leveling compressor. They can lose compression power and then run all the time since the check valve never senses enough PSI in the tank to shut it off. It is normally just ahead of the front wheel on the passenger side.
Steve
Steve

Steve Misemer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 06:56:39 PM »
Is there a way to shut it off?
44'
Cat C 13 525hp
Steve Misemer

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 12:25:51 AM »
Disconnect it. I think there is a spade lug at the check valve that you can remove. You can also cut the wire to the compressor. It's probably a Thomas compressor. If so there are rebuild kits available on the web. New units are pricey. I chose to replace mine with a Viair, IMHO a better unit and higher PSI so it runs less (250 v 100-125 PSI) but the Viair requires mounting mods and an added relay. A search for "Viair" will bring up info or let me know and I'll provide info on my install.
Steve
Steve

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 12:33:47 AM »
Steve H., in the meantime couldn’t he just use manual HWH air leveling in lieu of Automatic?  I’m thinking power to the aux pump has to go though that auto switch (and relay?)… or maybe it’s a faulty relay come to mention it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 02:05:50 AM »
Steve,

You are hearing this fan noise from outside of the coach, near the passenger steer tire?

What you might be hearing is the condenser fan for the dash AC. The condenser and fan are located high and aft of the front axle. You should be able to see the condenser by looking between the wheel well and passenger steer tire at about the 11 o’clock position. The fan will run ANYTIME the ignition key is in the acc OR run position and the heat selector is turned to any of the AC positions (left of the off position) or the two defrost positions (right of the off position). It should not run if the ignition key is off, or the heat selector is not set to AC or defrost. If the noise that you’re hearing is the condenser fan, and it runs all of the time you probably have a stuck relay.

I know these coaches are like snowflakes, but the HWH aux compressor on a 2006 Patriot or Marquis should be located passenger side, above and just forward of the drive axle. You should be able to see the compressor by looking between the wheel well and top of the passenger tire at about the 1 o’clock position (the coach may need to be raised slightly).

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Steve Misemer

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 04:35:50 AM »
Steve,

You are hearing this fan noise from outside of the coach, near the passenger steer tire?

What you might be hearing is the condenser fan for the dash AC. The condenser and fan are located high and aft of the front axle. You should be able to see the condenser by looking between the wheel well and passenger steer tire at about the 11 o’clock position. The fan will run ANYTIME the ignition key is in the acc OR run position and the heat selector is turned to any of the AC positions (left of the off position) or the two defrost positions (right of the off position). It should not run if the ignition key is off, or the heat selector is not set to AC or defrost. If the noise that you’re hearing is the condenser fan, and it runs all of the time you probably have a stuck relay.

I know these coaches are like snowflakes, but the HWH aux compressor on a 2006 Patriot or Marquis should be located passenger side, above and just forward of the drive axle. You should be able to see the compressor by looking between the wheel well and top of the passenger tire at about the 1 o’clock position (the coach may need to be raised slightly).

-Scott

Scott,
Thank you. Your suggestion solved what was going on. We are no longer the noisy RVERS in the park.
You are awesome.

This really is a fantastic forum.

Sincerely
Steve Misemer
44'
Cat C 13 525hp
Steve Misemer

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 06:48:24 PM »
Steve, Glad it was something simple and you got to the bottom of it. These motorhomes can be very frustrating at times.

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock