Author Topic: basement air  (Read 1522 times)

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
basement air
« on: May 30, 2022, 06:33:58 PM »
Going through my new to me Beaver, yesterday I turned on the basement air.  The unit is a coleman installed in 2016. My concern is the lack of air flow in the bedroom. The front of the coach was cooling but there was very little air flow at the back of the coach. Is this normal?
2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: basement air
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 07:34:45 PM »
   Dan,
Someone may have taken the time to balance of air distribution based on the coach. Consider the size of the bedroom. The front area is 3 times larger volume than the bedroom. Consider how much glass area there is in the living area. I would try it the way it is and see how balanced the temperature is overall. I put embedded magnets around each of my discharge registers and fabricated 6 X 6 sheet metal covers. I painted them redish brown to match the cherry wood color. I install them as needed to control the discharged cool air. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 04:17:37 PM »
I have now balanced the air flow making air flow more equal. I am seeing two problems though.

1   When I turn on AC it may take 5 or more minutes for the compressor to start. Is this normal?

2   When I start the AC line 1 registers 4 amp and after the compressor starts line 2 registers 14 amp. If I turn the thermostat  down 5 degrees line  1 stays at 4 amp. I fear one compressor is not kicking on.

Is this normal, where do I start and is there a trouble shooting manual.  The unit was installed in 2014 and was not used in a full time environment.
Cat C-12
Nebraska
The following users thanked this post: Mike Sulley

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 05:18:52 PM »
    Dan,
I cannot speak to the engineering of a coleman unit. What you are saying is similar to the original basement air. The only difference is leg 1 is compressor #1 and both blowers. There is a delay and then compressor # 2 comes on Leg 2. If the ambient temperature inside is within a few degrees of the thermostat "set" temperature, only 1 compressor is activated on my coach. If I drop the set temp a couple of degrees, then compressor # 2 comes back on. When the coach starts loosing its ability to cool in the late afternoon, I drop the set temp a few degrees so it recovers faster. Not a perfect situation, but my opinion is 27,000 btu of cooling needed one more air conditioner. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 11:53:30 PM »
Got the air fixed. Under the electrical cover right side are two push button resit switches. When I pushed compressor #1 it started and ran for a hour non stop. Interior temp went from 79 degrees to 74 degrees setting in a 88 degree building. Is the 20 degree differential temp from the air return on the floor to the ceiling vent temp?
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 04:52:47 PM »
   Dan,
Normal temperature differential from return air to discharge air is 20 degrees under average humidity. In Arizona you can get up to 24 degrees with 5% humidity. Less in really humid conditions. Glad you found the reset, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV