Author Topic: UPDATE Aquahot. Why is it so difficult to understand and operate?  (Read 3777 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Aquahot. Why is it so difficult to understand and operate?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2022, 03:02:24 AM »
Referencing Steve’s and Bryan’s comments above, last year I had to replace my float switch.  Like they indicated, my jumpering those contacts on the control panel/board was as easy as it gets to do, and the unit fired right up.  That bypass of the float switch can keep you in hot water (pun unintended) and floor heat until repairs can be made.  Just keep an eye on the expansion tank in case it gets low.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2022, 03:24:02 AM »
Thanks Fred, that saves me posting a similar guidance image I’d started configuring. 👍🏻
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2022, 12:48:59 PM »
Steve
A physical check of the antifreeze level should be done at the radiator cap on the Aquahot to make absolutely certain that the boiler has enough antifreeze in it as a bad pressure cap could allow the boiler level to go down without lowering the expansion tank.( Aquahot recommends periodically replacement of the rad cap ).

The burner combustion chamber will be damaged ( cracked ) if the diesel burn is run without enough boiler antifreeze to allow it to transfer heat and keep the combustion chamber from over heating this is why the float switch is installed to prevent the damage caused by running the system with low boiler fluid.

Be absolutely sure the boiler is full if you bypass the float switch

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Steve Misemer

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2022, 10:08:30 PM »
Thank you everyone for the replies.  Unfortunately I injured my right arm ( I think I strained or pulled some tendons) while in Yellowstone (I was trying to help a neighboring camper evacuate quickly) and I won't be able to do any additional troubleshooting this trip. I was able to left hand to our next stop. Where I'm going to rest my arm and shoulder and head back to home asap.
I'll take the coach to our service shop and have them inspect and remedy the situation.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 07:24:37 PM by Steve Misemer »
2006 Marquis Jade Copper Marsh
44'
Cat C 13 525hp
Steve Misemer

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2022, 10:53:19 PM »
Steve,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties on your recent trip. Unfortunately the Aqua Hot safety switches can fail at any time. A service of the nozzle and fuel filters most likely would not have prevented a safety switch from failing. Just one of those things that happens when operating these technical machines. Hope you get to feeling better and your next outing is more enjoyable. Hang in there!
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2022, 11:27:16 PM »
I think Frank said it, Steve.  The float switch, if that's what's wrong, is not something a normal hydroponics service would be expected to check.  For one thing they'd have to at least partially drain the internal tank to remove the switch for examination, and even then it may not reveal a hidden weakness.  Units of our era used a switch with a plastic arm that is what failed on mine.  The replacement for it today is a stronger model. 

And I have to add that replacing the switch would be a relatively easy task except for the need of a special socket because the switch's wires are in the way of a normal socket.  In my case I bought a super-deep socket so the wires would fit up inside it, out of the way of the socket fitting down over the bolt head.  Even then it took a lot of finesse, trial and error, and a little advice from the fellows here.  See the two yellow wires coming out of the switch in its pocket in the foil insulation?  The spade connectors seen below them unclip easily, but then those few inches of double wires and two spade connectors have to be stuffed into a socket wrench socket.  Or you have to cut special slots in the side of a socket to run the wires through. Yeah, you can just clip the wires off at the switch to readily remove the old one;  but then you're going to have to put the new switch in without damaging its wires. 

You may not be able to save the drained fluid without contaminating it in the process, due to the confined area you have to work in.  New fluid would be advisable, but be sure you mix it correctly.  And be sure you use the Camco Boiler fluid designed for hydronics.  You may want to get a fluid refractometer to test the old fluid remaining and mix the new correctly.  The device is handy for other fluid tests also, like battery acid and antifreeze.  Then its always fun trying to pour fluid back into the filler neck with such limited access! 

i.e. - You may find it best to have an experienced hydroponics technician do the job, rather than pull another muscle trying to maneuver in there.

That all said, as noted here previously, the tank's filler neck has been an issue for others here.  Apparently the extension that holds the overflow tube or the weld to the tank can weaken and fail, causing fluid loss through leakage and loss of proper pressure.  While I had mine off to fish for the broken off switch part (forget doing that, it doesn't hurt anything floating around in there and even if you spot it you'll never fish it out), I examined the filler neck and hose for bad areas, but it all looked good.

Joel

For reference if needed:   John Carillo may be the best source, as it was for me.
https://www.heatmyrv.com/product/float-switch-brass-ele-800-002/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 04:17:25 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Misemer

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2022, 05:09:10 AM »
I wanted to update this post.

Had the coach in for service to look into the Aquahot.  Here is what they found
Jumper was installed to bypass the low fluid cutoff.
Aquahot was very low on fluid.
Radiator cap was bad.
Radiator cap neck was damaged and bent and wouldn't let overflow tank work or show fluid level.
Aquahot control board had alot of corrosion on it. And alotbof the diodes looked burnt or damaged.

All of the above items replaced and or repaired.  Works great now.
I wanted to post a picture of the board but I couldn't figure out how to convert a 4Mb picture to 300kbs.
Is there a way to protect these boards for the elements?
Thank you
Steve

44'
Cat C 13 525hp
Steve Misemer

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: UPDATE Aquahot. Why is it so difficult to understand and operate?
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2022, 02:39:06 PM »
Steve,
To resize photos see the guide on the Forum Assistance board.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2022, 05:02:06 PM »
    Steve M,
If I understand your latest updated post, you stated that there was a "jumper already installed to by-pass the float switch"? If that was the case, that TEMPORARY jumper wire could have caused a lot of the damage. The jumper wire is for trouble-shooting purposes only and when used it by-passes the safety system. If the unit was allowed to operate with insufficient coolant inside, all sorts of damage can occur. Please advise. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Misemer

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2022, 07:00:46 PM »
Yes the tech said that there was a "jumper" installed. I did not install one. The good news is that everything checked out ok by the tech afterwards and seems the be working fine during our current 4th of July trip.
44'
Cat C 13 525hp
Steve Misemer
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Fred Brooks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2022, 01:56:42 AM »
That bay should be relatively resistant to moisture intrusion, Steve.  Perhaps the failed filler/cap neck resulted in some fluid presence where it shouldn’t be, but the vapor point and pH of that I’d not think a corrosion threat, but maybe so.  Be certain that servicing techs cleaned up any spilled fluid in that compartment.  Check that the bay door seals properly when closed.  The Hydronics unit gets warm and can vaporize fluids or water present in the bay proper., so it can get to the control boards.

There is a product called Corrosion-X that can be used on basic electrical connectors and buss’, but I’m not sure I’d use it on circuit boards because it’s protective residue might be problematic for future repairs and tests.  Even in our formerly leaking front electrical bay that was often flooded, circuit boards didn’t corrode but barrel connectors, screws, and fasteners did.  The circuit board in our HydroHot bay has been clean and dry for 16 years.

Another protective product I use on finer connections and circuit board repairs is “Deoxit”.  It comes in various forms for certain uses, but for just protective care not requiring pre-cleaning I’d use Deoxit Shield.  Spray cans, bottles, and pens aren’t cheap, for sure, but a little can go far if sparingly used;  which is why I prefer the brush in a bottle version so I can delicately just dab at only metals and solder points.

https://caig.com/deoxit-shield-s-series/

Check for sales online, and be aware that the micro-brush bottle is quite a bit tinier than its photo reveals.  Too small for me.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 02:06:20 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Misemer

• BAC Member
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2022, 02:19:05 AM »
Joel
Thank you
44'
Cat C 13 525hp
Steve Misemer