Author Topic: Inverter/Battery Question  (Read 2644 times)

Mark Hosier

• BAC Member
Inverter/Battery Question
« on: June 16, 2022, 08:27:32 PM »
While driving, I noticed the dash battery gauge had dropped from its usual 14+ volts to 12+ volts and held steady.  When I pulled in for a fuel stop, I looked at the inverter remote panel and noticed no lights illuminated.  Additionally, the panel displayed two characters I have never seen before.  They are solid boxes with a diagonal line emanating from each, one above the "SRCH" label and one above the "CHG" label (see photo).  Is there any correlation between these two events and can anyone tell me the meaning of the characters I described above on the remote panel?  I have the Trace/Xantrex SW2512MC inverter and could not find any reference to the characters in the operators manual.  I crawled in the basement and looked at the readout panel on the inverter itself and it appeared normal.   Could the remote panel require a reset?  While driving, we had the dash air running the entire time so could this have applied enough stress on the engine to level the chassis battery charge to 12.6 volts versus the normal 14.2?  I understand 12.6 volts is considered fully charged so perhaps there's needless worrying on my part.  My apologies if these are two seperate issues and perhaps the timing was coincidental.  Thank you in advance.
Mark & Wanda Hosier
45' 2003 Beaver Marquis Sapphire (Petunia)
Caterpillar 505 HP C-12
2014 Honda CRV (Paddy)
North Carolina

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Inverter/Battery Question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 08:44:10 PM »
What was the charge status of the house batteries when you started the coach's C-12 for your day's traveling?  If the coach battery bank was discharged from being used while dry camping overnight (or discharged otherwise), then the alternator may have overheated and blown a diode.  I cannot think of another reason why your alternator charge voltage would drop from 14+ volts to 12+ volts while the C-12 is running unless the voltage regulator is bad or a wire came loose between the batteries and alternator.

We used to have a Xantrex Trace 2,500w PSW inverter.  I do not remember seeing our remote panel show what your picture shows but it's been several years since we had to install a new inverter.  We now have had a Xantrex Freedom 3,000w PSW inverter for the past several years.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 01:57:27 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 10:34:04 PM »
Mark,

Sounds like your alternator may have failed. The first place to check is the back of the alternator with a volt meter with engine running. If working properly it should read 14 or so volts. If this checks ok, then on to the batteries. Check voltage there. Again, 14 or so volts. If all this is good, then inverter would be next. It’s also possible that the battery isolator is not working properly. It is between the alternator and chassis/house batteries. There are three terminals, middle one is feed from alternator, outside ones to chassis and or house batteries. If alternator has failed, you can run generator to charge batteries until you can fix alternator. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:40:12 PM by Frank Bergamo »
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Mark Hosier

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 03:17:48 PM »
Good morning.  Right after posting, I stopped at a garage to get a state inspection and figured I'd ask them to take a look at the problem.  They quickly noticed the serpentine belt was slightly loose and determined the belt tensioner was failing.  After replacing the tensioner, the voltage readings returned to normal.  Thank you David and Frank for your input. 

Mark
Mark & Wanda Hosier
45' 2003 Beaver Marquis Sapphire (Petunia)
Caterpillar 505 HP C-12
2014 Honda CRV (Paddy)
North Carolina

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 10:39:37 PM »
Sometimes if we’re lucky it’s the simplest thing!  It’s been decades since I had a belt problem… well, not that sort of belt anyway 😁.  Worn bearings on a tensioner weren’t uncommon on the old Ashley farm, but not since we left that life behind.  Make sure the belt isn’t “glazed” or damaged, but I’m glad the fix was relatively easy.  I still carry an old belt tension measuring device in my coach toolbox.  Old habits I guess have me checking our vehicles’ belts on at least an irregular basis.

https://smile.amazon.com/Gates-91132-Belt-Tension-Tester/dp/B000CRDLZM/ref=sr_1_6?crid=33Y7JKVT2LIFY&keywords=belt+tension+gauge&qid=1656366007&sprefix=Belt+tension%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-6

As a reminder though, whenever you break from a dry camp be sure to run the genset long enough to get at least up to the absorb stage if not float on your inverter remote panel.  At 12 volts your house batteries are half discharged and that can put a strain on your engine’s alternator that it wasn’t designed for.  Overheating and failure is too common among new owners’ alternators.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Mark Hosier