Author Topic: Message on Alladin Monitor  (Read 1332 times)

Bob Reeves

• BAC Member
Message on Alladin Monitor
« on: June 26, 2022, 07:45:28 PM »
On my 07 Beaver PT, when i turn on my Alladin Monitor to show Coach Electrical Status,  it sometimes give a message " AC Input Open Ground" for about 2 seconds then indicates "Shore Power Connected".    Also it always indicates that line one is  118 V. and line two is 120 V.  I have checked all the 110 v outlets in the coach and do not find any indication of "open ground".   Any Suggestions?
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder
45 ft  Cat C-13 525 HP
2019 Chevy Traverse
DW  Betty Jo.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Message on Alladin Monitor
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 10:20:38 PM »
    Bob,
What is the condition of the shore line plug? Is there any evidence of the insulation pulling away from the plug housing? The plug takes more abuse than any other part of the shore power system. Sometimes you can get a momentary misinformation if the coach has a surge protector. The 2 different voltage readings you are getting does not mean anything. One leg of the incoming 240 volts (total) is using more power than the other leg of 120 volts. An example of that would be the electric water heater may be on. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Bob Reeves

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 10:46:04 PM »
Bob
Check your shore plug at the coach if you have the Huble marine style twist lock plug the ground connection is the shiny stainless section on the outter rim of the round plug if it has been connected to a park post with a hot ground it will show signs of being hot ( melted plastic around the stainless )
Unfortunately when this happens it takes the spring tension out of both the male and female connection leading to an intermittent ground connection.
If your coach has a power real it not likely has the Huble plug setup in which case check the shore plug as Fred suggested.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Don White

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 10:49:10 PM »
Hi Fred and Bob,

I see the same message in my 06 Marquis from time to time.  My shore plug is in good shape (4 brass prong type), but I do use a surge protector.  I usually see the error message when pulling into a campground after traveling with the roof ACs on.  I will turn off the ACs but leave the generator on and plug into shore power.  I turn the generator off and wait for the shore power connected message.  While waiting for the shore power message is when I see the error message for a few seconds.  It appears the onboard inverter is cycling through its different states when this happens.  I wait for the shore power connected message before turning on the ACs back on.

Should I change my routine?

I understand a new power cord with plug is around a $300 item, so I treat it appropriately.  ;)
Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti
The following users thanked this post: Bob Reeves

Bob Reeves

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 10:53:38 PM »
Rred & Eric
I do not have the Marine style twist plug.  Have the standard 4 pin 50 Amp plug.  I do not see any separation at the plug end of the cord.  I do have a built in Surge Protector.  Also the momentary notification that  I indicated does not happen every time I turn on the Alladin monitor.  I also was not too concerned about the 2 volt difference in the two 120 volt lines. I appreciate your comments.
45 ft  Cat C-13 525 HP
2019 Chevy Traverse
DW  Betty Jo.

Bob Reeves

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 10:57:46 PM »
Don
good information. 
I know that replacement of that entire power cord is expensive.  Likely it would be somewhat of a chore to get the power reel out to replace the cord.
45 ft  Cat C-13 525 HP
2019 Chevy Traverse
DW  Betty Jo.